Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Output Mono or Stereo ?

mikeabbs67

I just purchased a Powercab 112 plus.  I am connecting my POD GO to the powercab 112 plus via the left/mono main output to the powercab and the xlr output of the powercab left/mono to the FOH mixer.  Do I need to set the outputs to mono in the global settings?  Would I be better off running left and right into the the two inputs from my Pod Go and leave output as default stereo?  Thanks

The Pod Go's L/Mono Out collapses the signal to MONO.

If you're only sending the PC's L/Mono XLR to FOH (also collapses the signal to MONO) that should be all you need to do.

Keep in mind that the level sent to FOH from the PC's XLR reflects the level of the signal at the PC's inputs, but is independent of the PC's Volume control, so you want to control your stage level (the PC's speaker volume) using the PC's Volume knob and NOT the Pod Go's Volume knob.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mono sound is when only one channel is used to convert a signal to a sound. Stereo sound is when multiple channels are used to convert multiple signals to sounds. Your preference for either one is entirely based on you, because just like sound, everyone is different! Stereo is much better than mono when listening to music with headphones, car speakers, home stereo, and any other usual pair of speakers. The only time you should use mono is when you're setting a complicated system (usually at restaurants or bars) where you can't tell which speaker is left and which one is right.  MyCCPay

• 4 weeks later...

Have you actually tried this?

I have many better ways to interface, so I hadn't bothered since I got my PC212, 2+ yrs ago).

At that time I was not impressed. The latency was awful.

Just for kicks I DL'd and installed the latest ASIO Drivers (v1.97 - 12/1/22).

7th gen i7 16gb Win10 laptop.

Powercab's ASIO driver comes up in Reaper as 48k/64spls (could be because that's my defaults with other interfaces) which results in 16.4ms RT latency.

That's fine for recording, which is the primary purpose of using the PC as ASIO interface, but not exactly "low latency".

My usual interface is a 2nd gen Scarlett 18i20 which gives 7.6ms RT at those settings. Even Helix is better at 12.6ms RT.

Attempting to open the PC's ASIO Configuration panel from Reaper causes a hang and eventual crash if you don't select OK or Cancel from the otherwise blank panel.

I repeated the experiment with Cakewalk, same results all around.

Conclusion: If all you want to do is record while direct monitoring thru Powercab with a backing track or EZDrummer, it works. I would not want to process the guitar signal with plugins before returning to the PC as the latency at 16.4ms is abysmal. Helix is not much better at 12.6ms RT, which is why I use the Scarlett which itself is not the fastest AI out there, but at 7.6ms works for me.

• 7 months later...

The decision to output mono or stereo audio depends on the specific application and the desired effect. Mono audio is a single channel of audio that is played through both speakers or headphones. It can be useful for certain applications, such as voice recordings or podcasts, where the focus is on the content rather than the stereo effect.

Stereo audio, on the other hand, is recorded and played back through two separate channels, creating a sense of space and depth. It can be useful for music recordings or sound design, where the stereo effect can enhance the listening experience.

When deciding whether to output mono or stereo audio, it's important to consider the intended use of the audio and the desired effect. For example, if the audio is being used for a podcast or voice recording, mono audio may be more appropriate. However, if the audio is being used for music or sound design, stereo audio may be more effective.

Ultimately, the decision to output mono or stereo audio will depend on the specific requirements of the application and the desired effect. gm global connect