Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dummy cable in right output?

Indianrock2020

I like creating stereo patches, but at church the PA is entirely Mono.  I generally just run the left 1/4 out to DI to Mixer, but somebody mentioned value in putting a dummy cable like a short patch cable or even a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter in the right output.  Thoughts?

David Hislop:
"MONO VS STEREO OPERATION

All of my patches are designed to be run in stereo - It is highly recommended for optimal tone. If you intend to run mono please note: The Line 6 devices automatically “sum” or combine the stereo signal chain to mono when only one cable is plugged into the left output of the Helix/HX Stomp. However, this tends to blur and cloud the tone in my opinion - for that reason it is HIGHLY recommended that you still plug a cable into both the left and right outputs to keep the stereo signal paths intact, even if you only run mono out of the left output. You will notice your tone and the effects are clearer than if only one cable is plugged into the outputs and they are summed. "

https://www.davidhislop.co/product-page/helix-all-in-patch-1

Well, if you plug in a dummy cable to the right, you'll be getting only the left side out.  If that's what you want, then sure.

But I think the quote you provided means that the summation of left+right into left does not work a 100% and has weird artifacts.  The author recommends connecting both left and right to your amp.... meaning you should use a splitter cable to combine two signals:

Image 1 - 6.35mm 1/4" TRS Stereo Female to Dual 6.35mm Mono TS Angle Male Audio Cable 1FT

PS: there is a bug where left/mono always sends the left side only, until you temporarily plug something into the right side.  I bet you the person whose quote this is is suffering from it without knowing it.  https://line6.com/support/topic/64139-why-is-lmono-outputting-left-not-mono/

I read most of that other forum post you linked above ..it sounds like if I just take a quarter inch cable coming from the DI box that I use at church and plug it into the right one quarter inch out first just for a moment with the Helix turned on then put it in the left I shouldn't need to leave an unattached cable plugged into the right jack indefinitely.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:10 PM, Indianrock2020 said:

I read most of that other forum post you linked above ..it sounds like if I just take a quarter inch cable coming from the DI box that I use at church and plug it into the right one quarter inch out first just for a moment with the Helix turned on then put it in the left I shouldn't need to leave an unattached cable plugged into the right jack indefinitely.

Turn on the Helix, do this momentary plugging of something into the right side.  It will be fine while the Helix is on.  Meaning if you re-boot your Helix, you will need to do it again.