Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume drop on "power Amp In " Mode

PomPomRouge

So ,2 days ago i went to a guitar store to test this baby and a Katana... Im a long .. really long Libe 6 user.. I had Betta II head and combo, Ubermetal, Spider 3, HD147 , Spider Valve 1 and Mark 2 , you name it! Vetta was always my favorite.. for me that was the pinacle from Line6 .

So i bought the Catalyst 200, freat sound.. great looks.. 

After testing i put my Ampero in the return and go for it... Awesome! Not so many tweak to be made at all... but o notice i was not im POWER AMP IN in the selector.. so i change it.. and the drop of sounf and presence was Huge...like 25%less Volume ..

Do someone notice this as well?

I get back to to the selector in fk loop mode and sounf was great again..

From the manual:

"22. MODE SWITCH – Controls the state of the FX Loop RETURN; When switched to the left, the FX Loop is engaged (as described above). When switched to the right, Power Amp In is engaged, sending the return signal directly to the power amp. This feature is great for use with external effects processors or pedals"

Many amps have an FX Loop Level switch. From my Blackstar HT5 manual:

"8. Effects Loop Level
The Effect Loop Level switch sets the effects loop to either +4dBV/-10dBV, which
enables you to use it with either professional equipment (+4dBV setting), or with
guitar level effects such as effects pedals (-10dBV setting)."

Since most FX in use these days are stompbox type, designed to be used between the guitar and the amp input (guitar level), when the Cat's FX Loop Switch is to the left that accommodates these pedals, whereas to the right accommodates the typically Line Level signal expected from a modeler.

I use my Cat with my Helix Floor. When I'm using it in 4cm my 1/4" Main Output is set to LINE and my Helix FX Loop SEND is set to INSTRUMENT. The Helix FX Loop RETURN is set to LINE. I leave the Cat's MODE switch set to the left (FX Loop engaged) to accommodate presets with and without the FX Loop. The level remains the same because the FX Loop SEND is set to INSTRUMENT for 4cm, but the Main Output is always set to LINE. I have not had any problems with headroom, so I assume that the Cat's poweramp is designed for this and the MODE switch is a convenience to accommodate external modelers/rack FX that MAY cause a problem.

• 7 months later...

I really like the Reverb on the catalyst and being able to tune it for the room by walking over to it to quickly adjust (I use very little anyway) is much easier than adding a reverb to the Helix.  I use the FX loop option rather than the Power Amp option and set the signal to line with volume at 1200 on the Helix so its right in the sweet-spot of the amp and allows me to have that reverb on the amp. ( You lose it if you set to Power Amp) . All amp models (only 2), no cabs, are on the Helix or POD Go (backup) and this works pretty seamlessly and the DI is consistently good this way with a 2X12 SM57 out of the Catalyst in a band mix. Pod Go is the same. I tried using the Clean/Dynamic and Boutique as pedal platforms and have a couple chains set up for a straight through situation,  but this way I didn't have to have 4CM and I have blocks to spare even with a couple effect heavy patches. 

• 5 months later...

I also encountered a significant drop in volume when setting the switch to "power amp in" instead of "FX loop". This happens without having anything plugged into the loop, just being connected to the "power amp in". Anyone an idea where does this come from? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 4:22 AM, ollestrat said:

I also encountered a significant drop in volume when setting the switch to "power amp in" instead of "FX loop". This happens without having anything plugged into the loop, just being connected to the "power amp in". Anyone an idea where does this come from? 

Yes, that's the way it works, I think to allow headroom for the external processors. Anyhow it's not a flaw, it's a strategery.