Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the new 3.5 IRs on HX Effects.

mslovick

The Cab/Amp Update of the Helix 3.5 firmware caught my attention because I've begun to experiment with IRs in my HX Effects.   I have found a bunch of IRs online which some players generously provide.   I was hoping to see a new list of preset IR's in the HX Edit after the 3.5 upgrades but all 127 presets are still empty.  I know that HX Stomp is the focus of Line 6 amp modeling work, but upgrading to HX Stomp XL ($749) vs the $649 I spent for the HX Effects doesn't make sense to me.   Is there a repository of Line 6 amp and cab model IRs I can download for HX Effects?   Or am I missing something?

OK Gottit.  But it would be great to somehow allow access to Line6 IRs by HX Effects folks.   Overcoming the IP issue would be a problem I guess, or just give the cab block to the HX Effects.

But like I said, the line between the two products is significantly blurred with the intro of the Stomp XL as they both have about the same features except for the amp and cab models.  But for the $100 product cost difference it doesn't make a lot of sense anymore.

Thanks for the response.     I agree with one of the posters that factory presets seem to sound better... like there's and always on cab or amp now.  I'm not positive but it seems so at first listen - or maybe it's just shiny and new.  Cheers.

On 11/8/2022 at 6:39 AM, mslovick said:

the line between the two products is significantly blurred with the intro of the Stomp XL as they both have about the same features except for the amp and cab models.

Not really. As an FX unit, the HXFX is *vastly* more powerful, just alone by the fact it's allowing for 16 blocks instead of just 8. I am by now using an HX Stomp as an FX-only unit (originally used a Floor but completely re-arranged my rig) and while it's doing pretty well, I have no problems to run into its block limit easily.

Sure, regarding hardware, the Stomp XL is defenitely blurring the line between them, but adding cab blocks to the HXFX would blur the line some more, which likely isn't in the interest of Line 6.

On 11/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, SaschaFranck said:

There's never been any factory IRs on any products of the HX family. What you get instead is the cab block - but that doesn't exist on the HX FX. So you still need 3rd party IRs.

I don't know if you saw this but the new amp blocks are all IR's now. So if you move the mic to 2" from the cone angled at 45 degrees, an IR was created for that. Thousands of IR's were created for the new cabs. So technically now the cabs are IR's with an easy to use interface. I'm kind of hoping that other IR creators will be allowed to "fill" this new inteface with their own IR creations. I know that would require a massive document on what can be used and how. But it would be cool (I think). Depends on what the price would be).