Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor Expression Pedal Sweep Range Issue

xguerra

Hello.

I know this issue has cropped up a few times and I have read most of the previous threads but still haven't found a satisfactory resolution.

The built-in expression pedal on my Helix Floor (not LT) is not returning to 0 in the heel position, it sits randomly at 15-30%.

Here's some things I have determined:

- It's not sound-dependant or software as far as I can see, I have tried various patches from switch on and from moving around the preset banks.

- It's not an optical sensor issue, I have played in different light levels.

- It's not a floor surface issue, I have tried carpet and hard floor in different rooms in my house.

- It's not a stiffness issue, I have tried both tightening and loosening the alan key screw.
- I haven't tried a factory reset but I don't think that will make any difference if it is not seen to be a software issue.

I think there is some sort of imbalance in the pedal itself.

The reason I say that is because it goes to 0 if I use my hand to move it on the underside of the pedal at the toe end. This is putting all the pressure at one end of the pedal to move it.
However, if I use my foot, which is a more even weighting on the pedal, it doesn't sweep down all the way.

I don't seem to be able to press down hard enough at the heel end using my foot to drop it all the way to 0.

I'm wondering if there's some other hardware tinkering I can do that will make it work better underfoot.

My Helix is running Firmware 3.50 and it is under warranty, purchased in September.

The simplest solution would be to send off for a new one but I really want to get to the root of the problem before I can be sure that a whole new unit would not have the same problem.

Any help appreciated.

Sounds like a hardware problem.  Expression pedals like are optical: a light shines through an opening and interprets that as the percentage of the EXP pedal.  If the opening is too wide, or if off-center, then it will appear as if it's not returning to 0.  Best send it over to Line 6 for warranty repair / replacement. 

On 11/7/2022 at 7:42 AM, xguerra said:

- I haven't tried a factory reset but I don't think that will make any difference if it is not seen to be a software issue.

You say that you've read the previous threads, but haven't tried the most common cure for wonky computers?

DO IT!!!

If that doesn't fix it and you believe that you've tried everything else, you may have gotten a defective unit. It happens.

Open a support ticket. Better yet (if you're in the US) CALL support.

The only other thing I can add is that I've had mine for 6 years, no expression pedal problems.

And when it occasionally starts acting weird and a reboot doesn't fix it, a factory reset always does the trick.

• Upvote 1