Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reamping Helix LT

Maksim19691990

If I understand correctly you are simultaneously recording both a dry and processed signal into your DAW, using the Helix LT as the audio interface. Then you reamp the dry signal, now using the LT as both the interface and the reamping device, and process the dry signal through the same LT preset. You record this processed dry signal into a new track. On playback of the two processed signals you notice a difference in the volume level and are asking if that’s normal. Correct?

I’m not 100% sure but I would say that’s normal, or at least not abnormal. My bigger question is “Does it matter?”. Is this difference in volume level causing some specific problem for you?

• Upvote 1

My experience with this is that the dry track sent to the DAW is at a lower DB than the original guitar input to the Helix.  This is assuming you are recording using the Helix as an interface (versus analog outputs).  I think this is actually the case for all USB recording, and so it may be apparent depending on how you are monitoring.

My opinion is that this reduction does matter; in my perfect world reamping wouldn't require the step of matching the output of your reamped signal to its original DB (unless of course, you do want to adjust that aspect.  That said, you have to do this when using conventional DI recording and reamping techniques.

To simplify my recording setup, I stopped using Helix as an interface altogether and record from XLR outputs with the dry signal coming from a Send as the first block.  This technique eliminates the gain reduction; however, I still need to make sure that if I reamp, that the output signal is at unity.  This still allows me to adjust that up or down to change the reamping sound.

Note this technique does mean that any noise gate on the input block is "printed" in the raw signal.  That hasn't been an issue for me.