Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Output Mode To People Use With Hd500s?

johndkeene

I spent a little time playing with the different output modes (studio/direct, combo power, stack power) -- the studio direct seems to be the flattest... combo power seems to be heavier on the bass (maybe assuming an open back cab) and stack seems to the accentuating the mids (maybe assuming a closed back cab).

Given the variety of speakers and cabs that can be connected to a dt25/dt50, 3ish choices seems fairly limiting.

Just curious what most people are using when connecting via l6link.

I have the DT25 112 and have been using the combo pwr amp setting, in fact the PODHD500X switches to this automatically when I connect by L6 Link, however, I find this to be quite bass heavy and have to dial a fair bit of lows out or it gets real boomy. Effective EQ using the DT tone controls and also the POD EQs can even the tone out.

One thing to be aware of is that the right tone settings really depend on the volume of the amp and size of room you're in. Tone settings for club gig volume will sound very bass heavy and thick when played at home volume, and so, tone settings that sound right at home will be treble heavy and thin when cranked. I learned this a long while ago when I first started playing live, my carefully honed bedroom tone that have taken months to fine tune went out the window at the first real stage volume gig!

Gazza

So looks like no matter what you set it to, it will return to Combo Power (if connected to a DT50 head at least) when the DT50 is powered back on. I assume they are assuming the same speakers/configuration as a DT50 2x12 cabinet (ie, a g12h and g12 vintage)?

I have the DT25 112 and have been using the combo pwr amp setting, in fact the PODHD500X switches to this automatically when I connect by L6 Link, however, I find this to be quite bass heavy and have to dial a fair bit of lows out or it gets real boomy. Effective EQ using the DT tone controls and also the POD EQs can even the tone out.

One thing to be aware of is that the right tone settings really depend on the volume of the amp and size of room you're in. Tone settings for club gig volume will sound very bass heavy and thick when played at home volume, and so, tone settings that sound right at home will be treble heavy and thin when cranked. I learned this a long while ago when I first started playing live, my carefully honed bedroom tone that have taken months to fine tune went out the window at the first real stage volume gig!

Gazza

Agreed -- what started this was I recently went wireless and so could finally go out in the room at a venue and see how things sounded at volume. Overall the tone seemed like it was too mid-rangey so I started playing with the output mode settings and the direct mode seemed to restore some of the low and high end that seemed to be missing. I didn't have a lot of time to experiment so I'll hopefully have more time to do that next time. Either way, it seems like there's a lot of EQ assumptions with the output modes that are available that may not match the specific speakers and open/closed cab configurations.

I have the DT25 head and a 2X12 cab.  I also have 1X12 50W tube combo and a Velocity 300 SS power amp into a pair of passive monitors.  I keep my HD500 set to Studio Direct for the SS and the combo (4CM) but it automatically switches to Stack Power Amp as soon as the DT kicks on by L6 link.  From my experience, you have no coice when using L6 link.  It will configure the output based on what it is connected to, DT combo or head or even L series speakers.

I have some awesome tones for the SS rig and some awesome tones for the DT but they are very different in their construction.  So far for the combo I have only been using effects so keeping it in Studio Direct has been fine.  I plan on playing around with it this week to see how the internal amp models sound and will try the other output modes and EQ adjustments.  When you consider there are two modes for combo and 2 for stack along with direct, that is more than enough to choose from when trying to build a tone. 

If I can't make it work with all these options and the other EQ's, FX and amp models, well I may as well start playing the drums...