Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

simple pitch shift not found

symonjim

HX Stomp running 3.5

Presumably newbie misunderstanding but I don't see anywhere else to post this question. Help me if there's a better place.

Trying to get a simple pitch shift with no mix of the original pitch. Tried Pitch/Synth Simple Pitch with Mix set to 100%. 0 gets me no pitch shift so I expected 100 to get me all shifted. Instead it gives me an equal mix of original pitch and shifted pitch.

Tried other things from various preset menus to no avail. Is there some way to get what I want?

Thanks.

Show us (or tell us with as much detail as you can) your exact signal chain in the Helix. It sounds like your Simple Pitch is on a path that merges with an un-shifted path, because that's the only way 100% mix would get you anything other than a 100% shifted tone.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2023 at 2:45 AM, symonjim said:

Tried Pitch/Synth Simple Pitch with Mix set to 100%. 0 gets me no pitch shift so I expected 100 to get me all shifted. Instead it gives me an equal mix of original pitch and shifted pitch.

Hi,

From the manual - MIX

“Blends the effected “wet” signal vs. the “dry” signal passed through the block. When set to 0%, the path bypasses the effect completely. When set to 100%, the entire path is fed through the effect, and no dry thru signal is heard”.

If this is not happening then something in your set up is not right, but we cannot hope to troubleshoot this without a copy of the offending preset. Upload the file and it can be assessed.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:31 AM, PierM said:

Be sure you are not hearing the picthed tone above the acoustic sound of the strings. :)

Also, post a preset so we can check.

This is a big one, OP. A lot of people play at a quiet enough volume that when they use a pitch shifter, they can often still hear the strings acoustically and it gives the impression of a dual signal or problem with the effect. Unless you're playing with closed-back headphones and LOUD enough that it blocks out the sound of the strings acoustics, you'll hear both. That's why it doesn't really work to use a pitch shifter through monitors at low volume levels.

• Upvote 1

Very sorry. Feel like a fool. Appreciate everyone's responses. Of course PierM is right. Especially since I'm playing a violin and holding it tightly with my jawbone transmits a lot of sound directly to my head. Solid body electric violin, though quieter than an acoustic, still produces a lot of direct sound that headphones or speaker volume cannot hide. I had my son help me with testing. Clearly 100% is all pitch shifted.

Guess I'll just have to retune the whole instrument or learn to play in 6 flats!

I wonder whether an electric guitar would have the same problem even though it is not up close to the ears and bones.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:02 PM, symonjim said:

I wonder whether an electric guitar would have the same problem even though it is not up close to the ears and bones.

Only if your amplified signal isn't loud enough to drown out the acoustic sound from the strings. So either play through speakers loudly or wear headphones and turn it up loud enough.

Glad you got it sorted!