Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into single channel tube amp WITHOUT fx loop

Serkoch1978

I am considering a helix LT and cannot find any information regarding how to use it with a tube amp that doesn’t have an FX loop. There are a ton of 4 cable method instructions out there but nothing for the single channel boutique amps without an fx loop. 

Is the Helix a waste of money in this situation? I want to use the helix as a pedal board live but use it’s full functionality for recording. Any help is appreciated. 

On 4/30/2023 at 8:49 AM, Serkoch1978 said:

I am considering a helix LT and cannot find any information regarding how to use it with a tube amp that doesn’t have an FX loop. There are a ton of 4 cable method instructions out there but nothing for the single channel boutique amps without an fx loop. 

Is the Helix a waste of money in this situation? I want to use the helix as a pedal board live but use it’s full functionality for recording. Any help is appreciated. 

In your case Helix acts as a normal pedalboard with all fx before the amp input.

The 1/4" L/Mono Out set to INST in Global settings>Ins/Outs goes to the amp input.

You can then:

use a separate path or a split with a Helix amp model and cab to send to the DAW

OR

send a dry (DI) signal to the DAW and use NATIVE (or other amp sim) for your recorded sound

OR

to capture your amp's power amp section, get a Load Box with a Line Out and take that either back to the Helix to add a cab before sending to the DAW or direct to the DAW and add the cab there

OR

send the Load Box Line Out directly to the DAW and add the cab there.

Which method you use depends in part on whether you're using Helix as your AI, in part what your tonal goals are for the recording, and in part on your budget.

Alternately (ideal solution), there are Load Boxes with built-in fx loops, which would allow you to create a faux fx loop post power amp for your time-based fx, getting them out of the pre input fx chain, but they are pricey:

Boss WAZA Tube Amp Expander Amplifier Attenuator | Sweetwater

There may be cheaper ones, you'd have to research it.