Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal into Helix Effects clipping?

joanesinu

Hello guys,

I am putting the compensated out signal from my Diezel Einstein into my HX Effects and then I add an Impulse response block there to that signal. However, yesterday I tried the output result into a mixer and the signal was clipping on the mixer very very hard. I had to lower the 'level' parameter of the IR block to -40db to be able to manage it from the mixer. 

Is any way to see the level of the signals into the helix? I don't know if the signal comes with too much gain into the Helix or is amplified within the helix after.

FYI, I added a jack-XLR adapter into the main output of the HX effects, and routed into the XLR input of the mixer. Maybe this has something to do with the XLR preamp of the mixer or somehing like that. Because when using Jack or Line input I think the preamps are avoided and maybe the level is lower and more manageable.

Thank you in advance.

This is not the intended purpose of the "Compensated Out".

Try using the FX Loop. Look up "4 cable method" in the HXFX Manual (page 10).

From the Diezel Einstein Manual:

3.2.4 Compensated Out A frequency corrected signal will leave this jack if you connect it to a mixer or recording device. Use it to quietly compose or send an auxiliary signal to a console etc. Always make sure that your amp is hooked to either a speaker or a load (i.e. THD Hot Plate).

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2023 at 5:16 PM, rd2rk said:

This is not the intended purpose of the "Compensated Out".

Try using the FX Loop. Look up "4 cable method" in the HXFX Manual (page 10).

From the Diezel Einstein Manual:

3.2.4 Compensated Out A frequency corrected signal will leave this jack if you connect it to a mixer or recording device. Use it to quietly compose or send an auxiliary signal to a console etc. Always make sure that your amp is hooked to either a speaker or a load (i.e. THD Hot Plate).

Compensated is the signal it's made after the power tubes, the 'final' sound of the head including the master setting and the 'tubes saturation/state'. And it's frecuencies are compensated to be ready to record. However, it's the electrical signal without any cab sim.

The loop only includes the sound of the preamp, In addition, I am already using the 2 loops on the HX effects.

Reading the manual, the compensated out is exactly what I want. A signal where an IR will be aplied.

On 6/15/2023 at 12:46 PM, joanesinu said:

I just found a setting option that I will try:

I will change it to line level.

image.png

I just tried this but Line level output has more output than Instrument level output, so this isn't the solution.

I will maintain the first settings with -40db on the IR block.