Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Feedback using the Pod Go

HuckleBerry475

It seems no matter what settings I use on the Pod Go or the amp I'm using, a Katana, I get feedback.  I've adjusted about everything on the amp (volume, gain, master), but the feed back is still there.  I use my Pod Go normally at church through the PA, but I'm now trying to use it through the Katana.  Any help out there is appreciated.

When you say 'no matter what settings' are you using a lot of gain and are you gain stacking ie your patches have amp, distortion and compressor and these are all set high?  Are you using external pedals?  Is this happening only at eg gig volumes, or is it happening even at bedroom volumes?   Is it happening on cleaner patches too?

Now, when you say feedback, there are two kinds - good and bad feedback.  Good feedback is normally only achievable at higher volumes and/or standing close to an amp, its 'musical' & its controllable by damping strings, ala Jimi Hendrix etc -  but if your guitar is giving a horrible unmusical 'howling' even at low volumes that you can't control, then one or more of your guitar pick-ups may have gone microphonic and need to be potted/repotted.  In case you're unfamiliar here, pickups go microphonic when the (normally) tightly wound pickup coil wires begin to 'loosen' and vibrate, causing 'howling'.  Potting is a straightforward & inexpensive process (but best done by experts) where the coil is dipped in hot wax so that when it solidifies it fixes the wires in place and stops the vibration & the horrid howling.   

What guitar are you using?  Assuming it has more than one pick-up, does it feedback on both?  If only one then that pickup has likely gone microphonic.  Do you have another guitar to try it with to try & narrow down whether its your guitar or your Pod Go or possibly even something else?  

If its your pickups, I'd expect the same type of feedback with your amp when gain is cranked so it sounds as if it's something else but it's difficult to figure out what's going on without being in front of your gear. 

Going through an amp you should be turning Pod Go cab models off. How exactly are you connecting Pod Go to your Katana... Can you talk me through exactly your connections.

The Katana is a modelling amp, so how exactly are you using your Katana- are you using the Katana for amp modelling and the Pod Go for Fx are are you using Pod Go for everything?  

On 9/11/2023 at 3:54 AM, voxman55 said:

The Katana is a modelling amp, so how exactly are you using your Katana- are you using the Katana for amp modelling and the Pod Go for Fx are are you using Pod Go for everything?

Likely this, as you're using PGO + whatever modeling the Katana is doing.

1) How is the Go plugged in the katana?  Are you using 4 cable method?  One way to bypass at least some of the katana modeling would be to connect the Go to the effect loop of the katana, if yours has one...

2) But also, depending on the patch you're connecting 'into' with the Go, might be  that there's some compression or something...

3) I also recall that there's a setting in the global settings of the Go to set the output of I think main out instrument, so if you're using that, make sure it's instrument as it's probably what the Katana is expecting for its guitar or effect loop inputs.  I'm guessing otherwise might 'overload' and maybe cause feedback?

• Like 1

I appreciate the help guys.  I'm really only using one channel on the Go, so I'll play with the compression and level settings within the channel.  I'll also look at the other areas suggested.

I really do appreciate the help.  I just started playing with an organization that already has gigs lined up for bands.  As a 58 year old, I finally get to get back on stage and I'm really stoked to do it right and sound good.

Thanks again.