Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which mid-range freq to cut through?

trainguy

All,

Playing live in a 5-piece band with keyboardist and another guitarist.  I use my Pod Go into FRFR108 into main board.

I would like to use an EQ block for a solo boost, mostly with slightly overdriven, bluesy tones.  I am using a Strat.  I plan to boost volume and mid-range.   My hi-cuts are already set in Cab block at around 5k to ensure no fizz, but I really want to be heard.

Which mid-range frequencies do I boost, and by how much?

tg

I gig with Headrush FRFR108s too. I have two, with ( typically) one audience facing with the other as a stage monitor. For various reasons I don't currently use my Pod Go for gigging and use a Vox Tonelab LE or SE, but previously had the same problem.  I needed a global solution to give me a lead clean volume boost. 

My solution, which works brilliantly, is to use an external clean boost pedal and for this I have a BBE Boosta Grand.  It's a very well made but simple pedal with a single knob for volume level and a stomp switch.  Placed between my TLLE and FRFR108 it gives a controllable clean volume boost.  Whilst it's transparent and doesn't colour tone per se it gives a slight mid frequency hump that cuts through the mix. 

It's important not to put this or similar pedals in front of your mfx as in that position it will act as a gain boost. 

Now, in Pod Go, there are a number of solutions if you'd prefer not to use an external pedal. 

1. You can set the main out level for a clean volume boost, eg 3db, linked to one of the PGs footswitches.  You have to do this per patch as there's no global way to do this currently.  If you use an on board footswitch you have to be in stomp mode to do this. If you use an external momentary footswitch in FS7/8 you can kick this in from any PG mode. 

2. If you want to add mids eg in the 800mhz range to your clean boost, you can place your PG EQ right at the end of the signal chain. Although you can use any EQ model, some EQ models work better and/or are simpler to use than others for this so just experiment to see what you prefer.  As above you can use internal or external footswitches. 

3. Setting up individual patches is frankly a pain, so is there a global solution? If all you need is a clean volume boost, yes.  You can globally set your volume pedal (see the manual, global settings re EXP2), to eg 85% toe down and 100% heel down, to give you a clean volume boost when you rock back. 

Why don't I use PG currently for gigging?  The PG is light, compact incredibly versatile. But for gigging I have a number of issues with it. 

1. Snap shots are fine at home, but live I go from one patch to another and kick in eg a tube screamer as needed.  PG has an awful lag when changing patches whereas it's instant with my Tonelabs.

2. The Tonelabs have a control switch where I can kick in eg a tubescreamer without having to go into stomp mode.  Live, mid number, you just don't have time to go in and out of stomp mode. I can solve this however by using an external footswitch in FS7/8 as mentioned earlier. 

3. The PG PSU is frankly a peace of crap and simply isn't gig worthy. The cable is too short, too thin and the wall wart takes up too much space. The TLLE and SE PSUs are heavy duty with long, thick cables that house the transformer, with it's own on/off switch, mid cable, which means it uses a standard mains plug.  I'd only gig it if I can find a gig worthy power supply for it.  Even Line 6 has admitted they aren't crazy about the PG PSU but it just solved certain problems for them.  I had a chance to pick up a Helix LT 2 yrs ago for £430 and am kicking myself I didn't because it's mains transformer is in-built and it uses a standard 'kettle lead' . 

4. The Tonelabs have real knobs to set a different amp, fx or pedal in a second, and tweak quickly on stage, without having to go into menus. 

5. Although old tech with limited options, no IR capability, no audio interface, no fx loop, these are built like tanks, and were specifically designed for gigging. But most importantly these have a real valve that is used like a power amp tube and give a feel and sound that is more like an amp than even Pod Go.  

6. The LCD screen in the TLLE/SE is very clear an (esp a dim lit) stage and although not as big as PG's, you see the single patch name clearly. In PG you see a block of 4 patches which makes iy hard to see which patch you're in and the writing is too small.  I'd like the option to see one bigger block.  

The new PG firmware v1. 5 is now officially in beta testing, as confirmed by Line 6, so shouldn't hopefully be much longer. This should have the new cab engine and cab IRs from Helix v3.5 (and possibly even the extra ones from v3.6 too?).  If these give the sonic uplift in PG that has been really well received in Helix, then perhaps that might encourage me to try PG for gigging. 

• 2 weeks later...