Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to feed different sound outputs from the XLR and 1/4 inch outs on Helix Floor

StaccoP2P

Hey there.

I have my Helix Floor acting as the sound interface for my computer system, DAW etc. No problems with that, but recently I've decided to use the ¼ outs to feed the power sections and cabs of two of my valve amps and their cabs and I'm loving the immediacy and responsiveness. 

The XLR outs are going to a pair of Studio Monitors. I've hooked it all up but I'm facing a double problem:

1) The Helix guitar sounds are playing through the monitors

2) The Computer's sound is playing through the amps

To be clear, both sound sources (Helix and computer) are playing through both amps and monitors simultaneously. It's a bit maddening and creating phase issues. 

What I'd like is

1) For the guitar/Helix sounds to only come out through the power amps and cabs

2) For the computer/DAW sounds to only come out through the studio monitors

I'm sure there's a simple way to do this, but I'm not having success with my attempts so far. Can someone advice me on the correct procedure? Thanks a bunch

By default the computer sound is entering the Helix signal chain AT the Main Outs.

Instead of using the 1/4" Outs for your amps, place a Stereo Send immediately before the Output Block with the Dry Thru set to -120db (OFF).

Use the Send 1/2 (or3/4) to connect to your amps.

This prevents the guitar signal from reaching the XLRs and prevents the computer signal from reaching the amps.

If you're recording the guitar in a DAW, make sure that the Track Monitor Switch is OFF to prevent the guitar signal from mixing with the other recorded sounds going to the DAW's MAIN OUTPUTS which in turn go to the Helix MAIN OUTPUTS.

Example preset attached.

StaccoP2P.hlx

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:42 PM, rd2rk said:

By default the computer sound is entering the Helix signal chain AT the Main Outs.

Instead of using the 1/4" Outs for your amps, place a Stereo Send immediately before the Output Block with the Dry Thru set to -120db (OFF).

Use the Send 1/2 (or3/4) to connect to your amps.

This prevents the guitar signal from reaching the XLRs and prevents the computer signal from reaching the amps.

If you're recording the guitar in a DAW, make sure that the Track Monitor Switch is OFF to prevent the guitar signal from mixing with the other recorded sounds going to the DAW's MAIN OUTPUTS which in turn go to the Helix MAIN OUTPUTS.

Example preset attached.

StaccoP2P.hlx 9.62 kB · 2 downloads

That worked perfectly, thank you! I also set the sends to Line and it actually sounds much sharper through the power amps. I do use all sends/returns in two stereo loops, but I'm thinking I can put two pedals with stereo outputs at the end of the chain in 3/4, feed one pair of outputs to the power amps and another pair to the loop returns. We'll see about phase etc.

Thanks again!