Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

6 Looper; How do you clear it?

markwesse

I know with 1 switch looper, you just double click and hold...voila!

Im using the 6 switch page for Ableton live and I want to know how to clear, without starting a new recording as per 1 switch

I wish L6 would simply allow an extra page where users can custom set FS along with gestures...would be amazing!

Cheers

The looper is a very basic looper and they have never indicated that they were going to pursue it further. I think part of the logic is that there are so many good loopers out there, you would essentially be turning the Helix from a modeler to a looper with all the DSP it would take to perform the way other dedicated loopers perform. A very uneducated guess.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:10 PM, markwesse said:

I know with 1 switch looper, you just double click and hold...voila!

Im using the 6 switch page for Ableton live and I want to know how to clear, without starting a new recording as per 1 switch

I wish L6 would simply allow an extra page where users can custom set FS along with gestures...would be amazing!

Cheers

The simplest way to clear the 6-switch looper is to record a new very brief loop of silence. I can’t really see an advantage though. If you don’t want to use a recorded loop then simply don’t use it. If you want to record a new loop then do so, erasing the current one. What’s the benefit of having a silent loop?

• Like 2

Thanks

Well thats what I thought but perhaps I was missing something

Its because Im using looping on external device...and the switches are being used for that. There is no custom page or edit allowed on the looper page and the switch CCs are very limited in that they are mostly latching despite using bitset values (not 0-127). If record is accidentally hit...its not ideal even with the volume off...just shouldn't have to mindful during the heat of a gig. The 1 switch did it...just wondered if 6 had same functioning

Why?

1. When using other guitar loopers eg Guitar Rig back in the day, the loop length auto multiplied so you could easily tap a short timing loop and then overdub with diff lengths per take...Helix is fixed length

2. We play in stereo FOH and once you stack a couple of sounds in mono (in band context), it gets messy versus pan separation (amazing diff). It can be patched in Helix but its also messy (uses up a lot of footswitches or snapshots which dont have parameter scoping) so simply even using eg Quantiloop instead, does give you 4 tracks with panning and variable length as well as quantised launch, tempo etc but you still need to be able to control it and the 6 switch page 'could' also be ideal (esp if the 2 unused buttons were usable).

3. When playing in a large ensemble, I use a mini pc hooked up to helix with Ableton...without gesturing available on the helix eg morningstar MC series, the 6 switch is also the best compromise but requires not using the record button. I def dont want another piece of gear to hook up etc when Helix does everything else so well, clear scribble strips etc, it would be great to be able to use it to fire scenes, loops etc which is only some songs and the impro on Live during the realtime stuff

Unless someone here has extra info Im ignorant of?