Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stomp XL Mode and Tap FS's

gpicard5

I'm new to the HX Stomp XL and I've done some internet searching as well as on the forums here but can't seem to find anything on whether or not the "TAP" and"MODE" FS's on the XL can be assigned to anything other than Mode and Tap to "Bypass All"? Thx and sorry if there already something addressing this.  

See page 58 of the HX Stomp XL manual. There's something about footswitch 7 and 8 where it says

"FS7 (or8) Function  Sets the function of Footswitch 7, but only when Global Settings > Preferences > “EXP/FS Tip” is set to “FS7.”

Now it says this about the TAP button which is 8 i believe.

TAP    Function When set to the default “TAP/Tun[e]r,” pressing the TAP switch repeatedly sets the system “TAP” tempo, and pressing and holding the switch displays the Tuner screen. When set to “AllBypas[s], pressing the TAP switch instead toggles the device’s Bypass on/off.
NOTE: Use the Global Settings > Preferences > “Bypass Type” to choose your preferred bypass behavior.
TIP: You can use the ACTION + PAGE shortcut to access the Tuner if you've assigned the TAP switch to All Bypass.

To me it, speaking only to FS8 the button is for Tap/Tempo so you repeatedly press it for Tempo, or for a tuner, you press and hold. It sounds like if you just press the switch once, it goes into "bypass" mode and you can assign it to do what you want to when it's in bypass mode. I don't own one so I can't try this. You'll have to experiment but I think this will put you on the right path.

On 12/5/2023 at 12:57 PM, gpicard5 said:

I'm new to the HX Stomp XL and I've done some internet searching as well as on the forums here but can't seem to find anything on whether or not the "TAP" and"MODE" FS's on the XL can be assigned to anything other than Mode and Tap to "Bypass All"? Thx and sorry if there already something addressing this.  

Hi,

This as been asked before, and the answer is NO, they are greyed out for a reason.

Using Command Centre allows you assign almost anything to anything else, BUT the MODE/EDIT/EXIT Switch is exactly that - it allows you to toggle from Preset to Snapshot operation, or hold to edit. If you could assign another option to it you would essentially screw up the basic functions. Like wise the TAP/TUNER, it already has a couple of jobs to do and they are fixed. At least the Command options allows you to use 6 switches by being able to change the function of the Bank Up/Down buttons to something more useful.

Note: It is fairly obvious that you can only change 6 options as there are only 6 sections available to name in the main display window.

I keep posting this, but hey -

Hope this helps/makes sense.

That's what I assumed. It's really too bad because if you don't care about the Tap/Bypass function or the Mode function you basically are stuck with 2 useless buttons taking up real estate. Kinda weird that you have the choice of 3 buttons on the Stomp or , 6 (out of 8) on the XL. It actually seems even dumber that you can add 2 extra FS's but have to use an external footswitch to do so. Oh Well.

I actually have seen that video. I'm prob an edge case user as I am a bassist and I am using the Stomp XL for ampless playing on stage.

I have an always on Compressor, then 3 dirt settings assigned to FS's 4, 5 ,6, a Sub Octave assigned to FS1, a chorus assigned to FS2 and then 2 preamp blocks which are both assigned to FS3 (When one turns on the other turns off). I have NO need for Tap Tempo or "All Bypass" so that button is useless. I don't switch between banks so the "Mode" button is useless as well. Basically I need at least 6 FS's so the Stomp even with an external FS only got me 5.

• Like 1