Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying to set AMP models to "unity gain"

ichasedx

I've been trying to figure something out, with no success. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've put together a small pedalboard featuring the HX stomp XL.  My signal path prior to the XL is a tuner and the Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact , JHS compressor, Greer lightspeed. 

My question is....when I use a preset with the amp model turned off, (I use a PC+ for speaker modeling), and use the Revival Drive as the amp simulator, I am able to set all external pedals and modulation effects in my preset to unity gain. For an A/B comparison between the revival drive and a XL amp models, when I turn on any amp model, there is a noticeable reduction in volume, maybe 15db????my guess. The only way I can achieve the same volume from the HX amp model is to max out the master and channel volumes, and increase the gain...not what I'm after!  I know the output signal from the revival drive is correct, judging by the LED on the PC+. I've tried adding 15db at the end of my preset signal chain, but the amp still has to be maxed out. 

I hope I explained it well enough for you to understand, thanks again for any help.

Mike

Turn off everything but the amp & cab. Set the amp the way you want it re the MASTER.

Now use the CHANNEL VOLUME to level the output between the amp on and amp off.

Put the Revival Drive in an FX Loop at the beginning of the signal path.

Assign the FX Loop Bypass and the Amp Bypass to the same FS.

Save the preset with the FX Loop (Instrument Level) ON and the amp OFF.

They'll toggle each time you hit the switch.

You can also use the same FS to change the Auto Impedance settings if moving the RD to an FX Loop changes the tone by loading the PUPS differently.

Now use the Revival Drive's OUTPUT to balance the levels between the RD and the Amp.

If using the RD's Output is unsatisfactory for some reason you can do the same with the FX Loop Return Level.

Now you can level everything else in the chain.

Once the gain staging is set up, use the Output Block Level to get the proper level to the PC+.

NOTES: Sometimes putting a GAIN pedal in a loop introduces a SMALL bit of loop noise, so you may need to add a noise gate after the FX Loop.

When you run your guitar into a tuner, unless that tuner has a True Bypass it can load the PUPS at 1M and essentially disable the Auto   Impedance feature. Is the Helix tuner really THAT BAD?

I didn't include that I have the Specular Tempus in the FX loop.

The problems that I have with the tuner are;

I have been using Patterson tuners for a long time, their new mini tuner is great. I like using the "sweetened tunings" 6 string, 12 string and Mandolin.

Line 6 tuner negatives...I don't like have to hold down the FS to activate/MUTE. I play in worship setting where silence between songs is vital, I can't maneuver between presets or change pedals, if in stomp box mode, without UNMUTING. 

On 2/6/2024 at 3:02 PM, ichasedx said:

I didn't include that I have the Specular Tempus in the FX loop.

The problems that I have with the tuner are;

I have been using Patterson tuners for a long time, their new mini tuner is great. I like using the "sweetened tunings" 6 string, 12 string and Mandolin.

Line 6 tuner negatives...I don't like have to hold down the FS to activate/MUTE. I play in worship setting where silence between songs is vital, I can't maneuver between presets or change pedals, if in stomp box mode, without UNMUTING. 

If you're using both loops for the SpecT in stereo then you're kinda screwed. You'll need to tap dance the RD/amp On/Off vs a one-switch toggle.

You'll also still need to use the RD's Output to balance against the Helix amp as I described and use the Output block for the level to the PC+.

You just don't have the I/O with the HXSXL to do everything you want.

I think the full-fat Helix is still on sale...

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 7:27 PM, rd2rk said:

I think the full-fat Helix is still on sale...

I've had a helix floor for about 5 years now...I needed a smaller footprint pedalboard...and lighter. My helix board was over 70 lbs and way too much for live performances.

Thanks as always for your help!