Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

garageband on iPad as modeler via power amp???

horax

I have garageband on iPad and bought all the amp sims. They're good.

I want to play via the amps on garageband on my iPad via the power amp in on the catalyst 200.

How can I do that? I picked up the lightning/1/4" adapter to run the iPad into the power amp in, but when I play no sound appears.

So I ran my guitar into the catalyst and the iPad into the power amp return....what did I do wrong, or is this not giong to work?

Also, if I get a DAW with some amp models on my computer, how do I run it to the power amp in on the catalyst?

I've never done this before, so looking for any help I can.

thanks!

This was my first-time trying GarageBand, basic FREE version that came with my iPad.

Plugged into Catalyst, opened GarageBand, told it to use the MIC, selected to record an Instrument, selected Channel 3 (or 3+4 - bypasses the Cat's preamp) as Input, selected "Producer Effects>Echo Tape" as the amp, turned Monitor switch ON, and it just worked. BUT - regardless of what Channel I selected as Input, it would not bypass the Cat's preamp.

I futzed around with it, tried reading the GB manual re using an external AI (not very informative), exited out, ran AUM with ToneX to make sure the Cat was working right, went back and followed the above procedure and it worked. I think what changed was that when I exited the first time it automatically saved what I was doing as a song (My Song). When I re-started GB the second time it automatically re-loaded that song, and now when I selected Ch 3 or 3+4 it works properly, bypassing the Cat's preamp.

Beats me! But that's my story.

On 3/16/2024 at 1:02 AM, rd2rk said:

This was my first-time trying GarageBand, basic FREE version that came with my iPad.

Plugged into Catalyst, opened GarageBand, told it to use the MIC, selected to record an Instrument, selected Channel 3 (or 3+4 - bypasses the Cat's preamp) as Input, selected "Producer Effects>Echo Tape" as the amp, turned Monitor switch ON, and it just worked. BUT - regardless of what Channel I selected as Input, it would not bypass the Cat's preamp.

I futzed around with it, tried reading the GB manual re using an external AI (not very informative), exited out, ran AUM with ToneX to make sure the Cat was working right, went back and followed the above procedure and it worked. I think what changed was that when I exited the first time it automatically saved what I was doing as a song (My Song). When I re-started GB the second time it automatically re-loaded that song, and now when I selected Ch 3 or 3+4 it works properly, bypassing the Cat's preamp.

Beats me! But that's my story.

So…did you just run the lightning to 1/4 into the effects return and plug the guitar into the catalyst? This allowed you to use the amp models on the catalyst?

I have a simple USB B to Lightning cable.

Guitar to Cat Input, USB to iPad.

On the iPad app, USB 1/2 are PROCESSED Cat signal (uses Cat amps); USB 3/4 are UNPROCESSED Cat signal (BYPASSES Cat's amps/PRE FX).

Output from the iPad app is on USB 1/2. That should leave the Cat's POST FX in the chain. Output 3/4 should BYPASS those, direct to the MAIN/Master Outputs.

I didn't actually test that last part, and it may or may not have anything to do with the position of the MODE switch.

I really should test this more, but I personally never use this configuration (Cat's Audio Interface), so...

I just picked up a new lightning to 1/4 cable and I still can’t get it to work. 
in garage band it is only picking up the iPhone mic as an input. I cannot change it to anything else. 

You're still using the wrong cable. Re-read my post:

On 3/16/2024 at 3:10 PM, rd2rk said:

I have a simple USB B to Lightning cable.

Guitar to Cat Input, USB to iPad.

On the iPad app, USB 1/2 are PROCESSED Cat signal (uses Cat amps); USB 3/4 are UNPROCESSED Cat signal (BYPASSES Cat's amps/PRE FX).

Output from the iPad app is on USB 1/2. That should leave the Cat's POST FX in the chain. Output 3/4 should BYPASS those, direct to the MAIN/Master Outputs.

I didn't actually test that last part, and it may or may not have anything to do with the position of the MODE switch.

I really should test this more, but I personally never use this configuration (Cat's Audio Interface), so...

That's NOT Lightning to 1/4"!

I got it to work. I didn't realize I could use the USB B to lightning instead of the 1/4.

The hard part was finding how to use amp models instead of the recording section....but it now works...kind of underwhelming, though. Probably because the GB amp models are like 10 years old or so

On 3/17/2024 at 11:44 PM, horax said:

I got it to work. I didn't realize I could use the USB B to lightning instead of the 1/4.

The hard part was finding how to use amp models instead of the recording section....but it now works...kind of underwhelming, though. Probably because the GB amp models are like 10 years old or so

And you've probably figured out by now that Amplitube is not much better.

Significantly better:

Get the FREE version of ToneX for iOS and AUM ($20.99).

TBH - I think that the Catalyst's amps and built-in FX beat the p1$$ out of any of the iOS guitar plugins.

Add a Sonicake WAH/VOL pedal ($60) and get FULL CONTROL with a decent MIDI Foot Controller (Hotone Ampero Control - $120).

The MIDI controller is only really important if you need instant Bank changes, otherwise the stock 2 button switch is really all you need.

Over time you'll spend more money on horrible sounding iOS plugins.

If you REALLY need a boatload of concurrent FX save up for an HXFX or an HX Stomp (gets you all of the Helix Amps and MIDI).

FWIW - I own every major player - AT5, BIAS FX, Guitar Rig, Native, S-Gear, ToneX, THU, and I've tried so many others over the years I can't even recall them all.

I also own a Helix, a PC212+ and an HX Stomp. Most of the time my Catalyst is all I need. With so much less to think about I spend a LOT more time actually PLAYING my guitar!

DO NOT SHORT-SELL YOUR CATALYST!

On 3/18/2024 at 10:10 AM, rd2rk said:

And you've probably figured out by now that Amplitube is not much better.

Significantly better:

Get the FREE version of ToneX for iOS and AUM ($20.99).

TBH - I think that the Catalyst's amps and built-in FX beat the p1$$ out of any of the iOS guitar plugins.

Add a Sonicake WAH/VOL pedal ($60) and get FULL CONTROL with a decent MIDI Foot Controller (Hotone Ampero Control - $120).

The MIDI controller is only really important if you need instant Bank changes, otherwise the stock 2 button switch is really all you need.

Over time you'll spend more money on horrible sounding iOS plugins.

If you REALLY need a boatload of concurrent FX save up for an HXFX or an HX Stomp (gets you all of the Helix Amps and MIDI).

FWIW - I own every major player - AT5, BIAS FX, Guitar Rig, Native, S-Gear, ToneX, THU, and I've tried so many others over the years I can't even recall them all.

I also own a Helix, a PC212+ and an HX Stomp. Most of the time my Catalyst is all I need. With so much less to think about I spend a LOT more time actually PLAYING my guitar!

DO NOT SHORT-SELL YOUR CATALYST!

Yeah, I've realized these other plugins suck.  The catalyst sounds much better by itself.

I'm considering a Pod GO, simply for more amp models and effecvts than what are out of hte box.

I dont' like buying pedals endlessly for different setups depending upon what type of music I"m messing with at the time.  The all in one approach is very attractive for me.

• Upvote 1