Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting up POD X3 with Windows 10. What do I need?

LadyGrinningSoul

Hi. I have a POD X3. I know it is a legacy product and no longer supported. The last time I used it with a DAW was with a 32-bit Windows 7 machine. 

What drivers and other software are still available that I can download to make the POD more computer-aware, and to make my computer aware of the POD. 

Tbh, I don't recall the softwares I used with it under Windows 7, but there was Gearbox and POD Farm and something with Monkey....  

But what all is available today for Windows 10 and 11, so I can get the most of the X3? Looking forward to using it again!!  

Thank you. 

Surprisingly the Downloads area of this website lists X3 drivers for Win10 as well as a Win10 compatible version of Gearbox and Line 6 Monkey. Those are the pieces you will need to install.

Colour me skeptical but perhaps it will all work! 

Thanks for the reply, sliverhead. I discovered those drivers just a moment ago and was about to update my post. 

I'm kind of skeptical too, but hopeful. I've downloaded Gearbox and the Drivers v4.2.7.7. Will see what happens. 

Am I correct in recalling that Line6 Monkey was the overall installer and account manger program that made sure everything was registered and installed correctly, but and didn't do anything more than that? Do you know if all that is still necessary? I recall the Line6 account backend with the Monkey could sometimes be a problem. My account currently shows now registered products, but it's been years. 

And there was also a vst that pretty much duplicated inside the DAW the modeling that the physical X3 did internally? And that Gearbox was able to send patches between the device the DAW? As you can tell it's been a while since I used it, but I had great productive fun with it! 

This will be interesting! 

Yes Line 6 Monkey is a utility that updates your firmware. You may need it, you may not.

Pod Farm is the plugin (VST) processor. If you register your X3 in your Line 6 account you may find you have a bundled license for the original Pod Farm product (not v2.5). If not you will need to purchase it if you want to use it.

I'm happy to say that I got the driver for X3 and Gearbox installed and both  see the device. Gearbox pulled in all the sounds stored on the device. But there is a problem with the VSTs. 

Gearbox installed the VSTs (Gearbox Mono Stereo.dll, Gearbox Mono.dll, Gearbox Stereo.dll) and I have added the install path to Reaper. Reaper sees them, but it seems to want to register with Line Money, but that process fails, telling me to make sure I' have an internet connection, which of course I do. 

I have tried registering the POD X3 online, but it throws an error: 

There was an error processing your submission.
(Error: Password reset link has expired. Please make a new request to reset your password and try again from the new link emailed to you. ( Error: 297)
)

I do not know the exact date it was purchased, and gave it an approximate date. 

But it's possible if not likely that I've previously registered the device with Line 6. But the account I previously used shows no registered products. 

I realize the product no longer supported so there are no real benefits to registering. But if that is why I can't access the VST, I'd like to figure it out. 

Any ideas? Would really like to be able to use the VST. The standalone Gearbox appears to be working.