Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Your experience with Catalyst and headphones

EddieTheTrooper

I am not sure if I was asking this before. I know that i have asked this somewhere, but this was before my pause from guitar. Anyway, once more :)
I really like how Catalyst sounds(although I had a bad start with it at the beginning but that was mostly my fault, nvm) but the problem is that it is quite loud, very loud for a home usage even set on 1/2 W. I am not living alone, so don't have much time when I can use it as I like. That means... loud :). And I don't agree with some saying that it sounds the same on every volume level. I think that actually it sounds the best when it is set quite loud. When I am alone I usually play with volume somewhere in the middle or even higher. But that's when I am alone. Usually I am not. So i really want to play it on headphones. And here is my question.
What is your experience with headphones. Do you like how it sounds? 
For me the sound it awful, but, I don't have studio headphones. I have only "regular" headphones. Marshall Major IV.  Changing MIC settings helps a bit, but still it is awful sound. What I know from difference between "regular" headphones and studio, that "regular" mess with sound by modifying it. Studio headphones should be more flat, and be able to more accurately replicate the original sound. So maybe that's the main problem. Probably all of you use studio headphones, so I would like to hear your opinion about how Cat sounds with them, before I will eventually buy and try one. 

My AKG K240's sound fine. My Sony MDR-V6's sound harsh. Both are "Studio" headphones, so...

Play around with different speaker and mic combinations and, oh yeah, those round knob thingies on the amp panel...

FWIW - there's no such thing as "FRFR" (full-range/flat response). It's a marketing gimic.

There's only what sounds good to YOU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1