Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Third knob from the left under the Helix Floor display no longer works in Global Settings?!

assassn8r

I just bought a Helix preset and have seen the preset displaying 10 stomp boxes properly on YouTube, with 10 stomps ( and no Bank Selectors visible. I would assume that the preset author's Helix is running on the latest firmware, but that's an unjustified assumption. I am running a Helix Floor, and have upgraded to Firmware 3.71.0. When I look in Global Setting it says my firmware version is 3.71.0 - a7e2585.

So here's my issue. When I went to Global Settings and selected Footswitches, and then turned the knob to switch from 8 to 10 switches, the Stomp Mode Switches value did not change to 10 (the Preset Mode Switch is set to Snap/Stomp). While it's been quite awhile since I attempted to use this knob to change this value, pretty sure I've seen the knob change the value in the past. Have checked the physical workings of that knob (3rd from the left) with other settings and it can functionally adjust the values of other amps and stomps. So there's nothing physically wrong with the knob. Just won't allow me to change to 10 switches, so I can see the two stomp presets hiding "behind" the Bank selectors. Have turned the Helix off and on in hopes it would magically start working, but no magic. Has anyone else experienced/noticed this? I doubt there is some other setting that would stop the Stomp Mode Switch knob from changing between 8 and 10?!

IMPORTANT NOTE... Just as I was about to send this, I had the brilliant idea to test this knob elsewhere in Global Settings, (i.e. Preferences, Exp/Pedals, etc.), and discovered it is unable to adjust ANY setting in all the sub-menus of Global Settings. This knob was working fine recently, because I am pretty confident that I used it recently in other Global Setting menus. Likely, before the firmware update, but I am not 100% sure. Could anyone else on the same firmware version as me confirm what I am observing? If so, I will identify this issue as a "bug",  elsewhere on this forum.  what your help, I'm "stomped" on why this is not working. This post only applies to folks whose firmware version in Global Settings is also 3.71.0 - a7e2585.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Sorry if this "issue" has already been identified elsewhere on these forum, I just couldn't find it or didn't search longer or hard enough.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:12 PM, assassn8r said:

I just bought a Helix preset and have seen the preset displaying 10 stomp boxes properly on YouTube, with 10 stomps ( and no Bank Selectors visible. I would assume that the preset author's Helix is running on the latest firmware, but that's an unjustified assumption. I am running a Helix Floor, and have upgraded to Firmware 3.71.0. When I look in Global Setting it says my firmware version is 3.71.0 - a7e2585.

So here's my issue. When I went to Global Settings and selected Footswitches, and then turned the knob to switch from 8 to 10 switches, the Stomp Mode Switches value did not change to 10 (the Preset Mode Switch is set to Snap/Stomp). While it's been quite awhile since I attempted to use this knob to change this value, pretty sure I've seen the knob change the value in the past. Have checked the physical workings of that knob (3rd from the left) with other settings and it can functionally adjust the values of other amps and stomps. So there's nothing physically wrong with the knob. Just won't allow me to change to 10 switches, so I can see the two stomp presets hiding "behind" the Bank selectors. Have turned the Helix off and on in hopes it would magically start working, but no magic. Has anyone else experienced/noticed this? I doubt there is some other setting that would stop the Stomp Mode Switch knob from changing between 8 and 10?!

IMPORTANT NOTE... Just as I was about to send this, I had the brilliant idea to test this knob elsewhere in Global Settings, (i.e. Preferences, Exp/Pedals, etc.), and discovered it is unable to adjust ANY setting in all the sub-menus of Global Settings. This knob was working fine recently, because I am pretty confident that I used it recently in other Global Setting menus. Likely, before the firmware update, but I am not 100% sure. Could anyone else on the same firmware version as me confirm what I am observing? If so, I will identify this issue as a "bug",  elsewhere on this forum.  what your help, I'm "stomped" on why this is not working. This post only applies to folks whose firmware version in Global Settings is also 3.71.0 - a7e2585.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Sorry if this "issue" has already been identified elsewhere on these forum, I just couldn't find it or didn't search longer or hard enough.

Hi,

From the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual:-

“When set to “10 switches,” FS1 (BANK ) and FS7 (BANK ) are re-purposed as additional Stomp switches. This “10 switches” option only affects the Stomp footswitch mode—when you have the device in Preset, Snapshot, or Looper footswitch modes, BANK and BANK are retained.”

When weirdness and unexplained things start to happen perform a Factory Reset on your device. Make a backup of all the presets and settings on your hardware before doing the reset. If this doesn’t cure the problem, you could try re-flashing the Firmware.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 5/3/2024 at 5:24 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

From the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual:-

“When set to “10 switches,” FS1 (BANK ) and FS7 (BANK ) are re-purposed as additional Stomp switches. This “10 switches” option only affects the Stomp footswitch mode—when you have the device in Preset, Snapshot, or Looper footswitch modes, BANK and BANK are retained.”

When weirdness and unexplained things start to happen perform a Factory Reset on your device. Make a backup of all the presets and settings on your hardware before doing the reset. If this doesn’t cure the problem, you could try re-flashing the Firmware.

Hi DataCommando,

You didn't indicate whether or not your Helix has been updated to the 3.71.0 - a7e2585 firmware and whether your third knob actually works properly in Global Settings? If you're not on the same firmware version as I am, I'll wait and hope to hear back from someone who actually is. 

Cheers.

On 5/4/2024 at 2:02 AM, assassn8r said:

Hi DataCommando,

You didn't indicate whether or not your Helix has been updated to the 3.71.0 - a7e2585 firmware and whether your third knob actually works properly in Global Settings? If you're not on the same firmware version as I am, I'll wait and hope to hear back from someone who actually is. 

Cheers.

Hi,

O.K. I'm back here again to confirm -

Yes, my Helix Floor does have Firmware Version 3.71.0 - a7e2585 installed, and the 3rd knob from the left actually does work properly in the Global Settings.

Try this first to Reset the Globals to Factory: - 

Open the Global Settings Menu, then Press the ACTION Button. Now Press Knob 1 "Factory Settings" and when the dialogue appears Press Knob 6 "OK".

10 Switches.png

I will state once again - 

When weirdness and unexplained things start to happen, perform a Factory Reset on your device.

Make a backup of all the presets and settings on your hardware before doing the reset.

If this doesn’t cure the problem, you could try re-flashing the Firmware.

On 5/4/2024 at 7:05 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

O.K. I'm back here again to confirm -

Yes, my Helix Floor does have Firmware Version 3.71.0 - a7e2585 installed, and the 3rd knob from the left actually does work properly in the Global Settings.

Try this first to Reset the Globals to Factory: - 

Open the Global Settings Menu, then Press the ACTION Button. Now Press Knob 1 "Factory Settings" and when the dialogue appears Press Knob 6 "OK".

When weirdness and unexplained things start to happen, perform a Factory Reset on your device.

Make a backup of all the presets and settings on your hardware before doing the reset.

If this doesn’t cure the problem, you could try re-flashing the Firmware.

Hey, thanks for all your replies.

Well.... I happened to be fiddling with the Stomp Mode Switch setting, while at the same time turning the Preset Mode Switch setting and all of a sudden "10 Switches" appeared. When I tried to turn it back, it doesn't return to 8 Switches. It does eventually, if I am turning the Preset Mode Switch back and forth through all it's possible settings. It's like the Helix needs to have something changing in the 2nd knob, before it will recognize I am turning the third knob. Like I said previously, none of this happens when I am adjusting a value associated with Amps or Stomps. Knob 3 adjusts the values perfectly. So, I can make my screen look like your screen capture, with a bunch of simultaneous knob turning.

Can't help but wonder if others may be using the third knob so rarely they may not even notice that it works inconsistently in Global Settings. At least that's what I observe! After it does change the number of Stomp Mode Switches, I can then set whatever Preset Mode I want with the second knob. I guess that's a work around, but I still see this as an inherent software issue that is not resolved by installing the present firmware or a Factory Reset. I can say that, because I successfully did both today, and still could not get knob 3 to work afterward, until I started turning both the second and third knob at the same time. Tried the same trick in the other Global menus and could get the third knob to work in them, but it's incredibly uncontrolled movement across settings that offer a range of values, and can even move in the reverse direction that I'm turning the actual knob. Specifically, on the Ins/Outs setting for Mic In Gain! It doesn't seem to behave like that in the other Global Settings. If it was a physical or electrical problem between knob 2 and knob 3 on my Helix, you'd expect to observe the same wacky behaviour when adjusting Amp/Stomp values. Never even noticed this issue, until I bought a Helix preset that used 10 switches... 

Anyway, that's the poor workaround I have figured out to date, and would welcome other comments as to whether I am the only one observing this issue? Right now, we've only got a verified sample of two... where I am observing this issue and datacommando is not.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 3:17 AM, assassn8r said:

So, I can make my screen look like your screen capture, with a bunch of simultaneous knob turning.

Hi, again,

There is no “simultaneous knob turning” required to enter, and return, from the 8 to 10 foot-switches setting.

See video from 1.00 in 

I haven’t seen any other reports about this - if it was something common, this place usually lights up with posts about the situation. It may be a bug, but it also might be a hardware issue, especially as you say that you have now tried the usual Factory Reset and Re-flashed the Firmware.

One final thing to try - Turn on the power to your Helix, and simultaneously hold down FS3&4 - while it boots, this will put the unit into “Test Mode” which should return a reading on screen showing what is functioning correctly, by testing each component one by one.

EDIT: Oh, another TEST mode using the first 4 encoders, is to power on and  hold down FS2&3 until the Helix boots. It should now display a little LED fun routine where you can control the colours of the LED rings, where Enc1 = RED, Enc2 = Green and 3 = Blue, you can use Enc4 to control the colour mix. Either of these two tests should show if your Encoder 3 is working or not.

Still not working?

It could be time to put a call into Customer Support, as physical hardware solutions are generally beyond the scope of the regular forum users.

Edited by datacommando
Added note

On 5/5/2024 at 1:39 AM, abstractocaster said:

Third knob from the left

hmm, musta been on a bootleg I never heard . . . 

Yup, it’s on a compilation of out takes from “Sheik Yerbouti”.

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2024 at 5:06 AM, datacommando said:

Hi, again,

There is no “simultaneous knob turning” required to enter, and return, from the 8 to 10 foot-switches setting.

See video from 1.00 in 

I haven’t seen any other reports about this - if it was something common, this place usually lights up with posts about the situation. It may be a bug, but it also might be a hardware issue, especially as you say that you have now tried the usual Factory Reset and Re-flashed the Firmware.

One final thing to try - Turn on the power to your Helix, and simultaneously hold down FS3&4 - while it boots, this will put the unit into “Test Mode” which should return a reading on screen showing what is functioning correctly, by testing each component one by one.

EDIT: Oh, another TEST mode using the first 4 encoders, is to power on and  hold down FS2&3 until the Helix boots. It should now display a little LED fun routine where you can control the colours of the LED rings, where Enc1 = RED, Enc2 = Green and 3 = Blue, you can use Enc4 to control the colour mix. Either of these two tests should show if your Encoder 3 is working or not.

Still not working?

It could be time to put a call into Customer Support, as physical hardware solutions are generally beyond the scope of the regular forum users.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Put it into test mode and then selected UI. Watched a guy on youtube perform this exact test, as his knobs turned green from red. My Helix could care less that I was turning any knob, press a button or whatever, despite the fact all the others appear to work fine. It's become clear, what I am observing is likely beyond the scope of regular forum users. :(

Seem like I I will need to get in contact with Line 6 technical support. The next logical step.

Thanks for your helpful input.

Cheers!  

• Thanks 1