Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix --> Audient id14 mkii Line level output is clipping, what I'm doing wrong?

Hi all,

Could anybody give me a hint of what I may be doing wrong in my setup for practicing with the Helix LT? My connection is as follows:

- Helix LT Mono output 1/4" to Audient Mic/Line 1/4" input in the rear part of the interface

- Gain on the interface set to minimum value, no phantom power

- Output level in the helix presets set to -3dB

- Knob volume in the helix not engaged (set to control headphone output only)

- No global EQ

If I set the output in the Helix to line level its going to generate audible digital clipping. If I set the ouput to instrument level is fine, but theoretically I should set it to line level in that set up. What I may be doing wrong? May the output level in the presets require further decrease? I have searched in the INs/out menu in the Helix and there is no setting for a level output for the 1/4".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

On 7/12/2024 at 8:46 AM, Josh_guitarreiru said:

… I have searched in the INs/out menu in the Helix and there is no setting for a level output for the 1/4".

See Global Settings -> Ins/Outs. Set 1/4” Outputs to Line level and make sure the Audient is configured to receive Line level.

Hi Silverhead,

I already set 1/4" out to Line level and was connecting that output to the Line input of the Audient iD14 mkii (please, note there is no way to configure the input in the audient). In such scenario I have digital clipping. I will experiment with decreasing my patches output level, at the moment the output level is set at -3dB as my "default".

Meanwhile I'll copy paste here the Mic/Line input features of the Audient, just in case there is something I am not considering:

GAIN RANGE:                                          58dB
LINEUP:                                                   12dBu = 0dBFS
MIC MAX INPUT LEVEL:                         12dBu
MAX INPUT LEVEL:                                 21dBu
INPUT IMPEDANCE (Mic):                       2.8k
INPUT IMPEDANCE (Line):                      >8k
THD+N @ 0dBu                                        0.00170%
SNR:                                                          101dBu A-Weighted
EIN:                                                            -129dB A-Weighted
CMRR @ 1k:                                              >-75dB
CROSSTALK:                                            >-100dB
FREQUENCY RESPONSE - MIN GAIN    ±0.5dB 10Hz to 40kHz
XLR COMBI FEMALE:                               Pin 2 (Hot), Pin 3 (Cold) & 1/4” 
TRS JACK:                                                Tip (Hot), Ring (Cold) & Pin 1 (Shield) Sleeve (Shield)

Thanks,

Josh

On 7/12/2024 at 8:46 AM, Josh_guitarreiru said:

.. If I set the ouput to instrument level is fine, but theoretically I should set it to line level in that set up. …

I don’t know what the problem is but it seems you have a solution. You can let theory continue to bother you if you wish….

Also, remember that the Helix LT is an audio interface itself. Do you really need the Audient?

Well, is not that I want to be bothered by theory, it's just that output types (Line, Mic, Instrument) is not something I have paid a lot of attention in the past, and because I had an issue with it I wanted to understand it properly so in case I have other related issues with other devices I can make informed decissions quickly.

And yes, I've been happily using Helix LT as my guitar and bass interface for a long time, but for vocals I needed an audio interface with Mic Input. Also having a small device in my desktop is more convenient to me than always having the Helix on the floor. Furthermore the driver in the audient allow me to achieve a good low latency, so I ended up using it for recording guitars with Helix Native as well while keeping the LT for live usage only. The reason I'm plugin the Helix to the Audient is to rehearse the live setup including automated preset and snapshot via MIDI program change and CC messages.