Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assigning the Looper to a Foot Switch

jon_bondy

I am using the Helix in the mode where the left 2 foot switches are Bank Up/Down, the middle 4 foot switches on top select a Patch, and the middle 4 foot switches on the bottom select a Snapshot.  The upper right foot switch says Preset/Stomp and the lower right says TAP.

I have added a Looper to my signal chain, but cannot figure out how to assign a foot switch to the Looper.  Within the HX Editor, I can right click the Looper, select Bypass Assign, and then assign (say) Footswitch 11.

First off, I don't know which switches are which.  Where is Footswitch 1?  Upper left?  Lower left?

Secondly, no matter what foot switch I assign, nothing changes on the Helix, and there is no foot switch that I can press that brings up the Looper.

Perhaps the [unconventional] way that I am using the foot switches means that I cannot assign a foot switch to enable/disable the Looper, but I have not seen any error messages.

Thoughts?

Jon

That upper right footswitch toggles you between Preset mode, which shows the display you describe, and Stomp mode which provides another display and function set for the footswitches. The switches are numbered 1-6 on top and 7-12 on the bottom. Footswitches 6 and 12 are fixed. Footswitches 1 and 7 are assignable but are best left as Up/Down for ease of navigation. 

Try assigning your Looper to FS2 and then use FS6 to put you in Stomp mode where you will see and be able to activate the Looper switch.

Also, read the section of the manual that describes Preset vs. Stomp mode. Other goodies in there too, like assigning the Up/Down footswitches to navigate among Banks, Presets, or Snapshots. Lots of options in Global Settings too if you’re not yet familiar with them.

The manual is your friend. Read it.

• Upvote 2

Thank you.  Reading the manual, for any product, is always useful.  For some complex products, it is not always easy to recall all of the details.  Once I decided that Stomp mode was not for me, those details drifted away.  And, now, the exception to that rule.  What you said is very helpful.

Jon