Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connection Problems Via Line6 Link

I'm having problems with our L3t and L3s connections.

When connecting the cable from the M20d (link) to the first pair of speakers, they both show nr 1 on the small display (on the speakers). When connecting (via Line6 link) to the other pair, their displays shows b. or sometimes 2. The b. or 2. blinks every 5 sec. (or so). When it blinks the sound also dissapers. It all started when I updated the mixer firmware to 1.20. It could of course be a coinsidentally. I thought the mixer was broke but the shop says it is ok.

Anyone had the same problems? What should the displays in the speaker read?

I'm not sure you have a problem. The IDs will change as you plug in additional speakers. When you look on the mixer page is everything in It's proper place? Can you reassign speakers from the panel?

Blinking otoh is usually a sign that the connection is not good. So methodically go through your cables and make sure none are damaged. It's also possible you have a bad panel jack so make certain the problem is with an individual speaker

I would also recommend that you make sure to have the most recent firmware in all the speakers (v1.05) as it improves L 6 connections. In fact, do this first.

Just to make double certain I'd also reinstall the mixer firmware.

My left pair of L3s / L3t both show number 1, and my right pair both show number 2 (when they are wired in that order). My L2 monitors are then numbered from 3 and upwards.

If I wire in a different order (put the L2 monitors between the left and right stack), the two speakers in the left stack still get number 1, but the speakers in the right stack get different numbers (usually 2 and 3). But everything works fine, and I have got the habit to connect the speakers in this same specific sequence each time, to be sure I have some sort of control. I don't know if this is the way it is meant to be, though...

• Upvote 1

The b. or 2. blinks every 5 sec. (or so). When it blinks the sound also dissapers.

Are you using specific L6Link, AES/EBU cables or have you just used standard mic xlr to xlr cables?

We haven't had any problems but, as I've said in other threads, I'm anal about cabling, ensuring I always use the correct type of cable for the job in hand.

I tend to ignore the back panel LED display, referring only to what the M20d has assigned and reassigning if necessary.

I also don't follow the L6 advised cable path (my selected cable path being shorter):

L3m > L3s > L2m (monitor 1) > L2m (monitor 2) > L3s > L3m

Aside from sometimes needing to switch the monitors round, the M20d has always reported and assigned my rig correctly.

After meticulously going through all the connections (yes I changed all the cableing) I found that there has to be something wrong with the Line6 link in one of the subs.

When connecting "that sub" as the last in the chain everything is working fine again.

Thank you all for helping me out.