Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hiss On Fx Loop

nikoniablue

I've just tried introducing an effects loop into my HD500 (using with DT25) for the first time.  But it's producing a level of hiss that renders it almost unusable.

The set up is more or less silent the rest of the time, no matter what settings I use.  But this is louder than any "normal" amp hiss.  I assumed it must be the gain, so I tried connecting the Loop out to the Loop in - a single wire - and the hiss is just the same.  If you reduce the mix setting for the loop the hiss goes down accordingly, so it's definitely being introduced by the loop itself.  The dB adjustment for the Send makes no difference, the dB adjustment for the Return amplifies the hiss. 

I found one other reference to this in an earlier post - but no solution.  Has anyone had and fixed this - or any ideas what I might try? Thanks in advance.....

Just partially answered my own question.  The hiss is only very loud when the output is boosted via the mixer.  There's still some noise from the loop (and I'd be interested in suggestions to reduce it further) but it's no longer completely unbearable - more like amp hiss.

I ran into this same issue with my 500x when I was first setting it up.  According to the guys here and my own experience, the FX loops is just noisy.  The only way I was able to tame it was to put a gate after the loop but that killed my sustain too much so now I don't use the FX loop at all.  Kind of sux.

I ran into this same issue with my 500x when I was first setting it up.  According to the guys here and my own experience, the FX loops is just noisy.  The only way I was able to tame it was to put a gate after the loop but that killed my sustain too much so now I don't use the FX loop at all.  Kind of sux.

This is where I'm at with it.