Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd300 Guys, I Need Help! Basic Set-up, Tweaking, Etc!

line6newb

Ok, I bought the HD300 to putz with.. I CANNOT get a useable high-gain tone to save my life! I've tweaked, and tweaked, no dice. I know it takes a lot of tweaking, but I've lost patience, and I'm ready to sell it!

I want to dig it, but it sounds like sh*t, so I'm hoping for some helpful info. I've updated to v2.0, if that helps. I can get nice cleans, and it's got some great effects, but, I can't get a good, base, heavy rhythm tone for nothing! Not with headphones, in front of my amp, or through the loop.

Advice on hooking it up through an amp, and parameters, and what to do/not to do would be nice, since the manual it came with basically sucks.

I've been hearing this complaint a bit. High gain sounds like @#$% to my ears when it's 'good' LOL, so I've been wondering what it is exactly folks are looking for.

Not enuff edge on the front end of a note?[suddeness] Fizzy? Not 'bogner-y' enuff? Crispness? Over compressed? Flurry of notes wash out- yikes I wouldn't have a clue what to do about that..

Since I have to record others as well  as myself this would be useful.

Seriously it's the bit about what makes high gain high gain, that doesn't suit my style in the first place, throws my ears  and would love to know what this is about cos I'm shure it's tweakable and I could therefore help those norweigian death metal fans.

it's not so much about what L6 editing can do but what I'm supozta be looking for in the first place.

Those settings sound fine to me, save they are settings I don't care for- and therefore can't exactly trust my own ears I guess...

Don't play it through a guitar amp. Play it through a powered PA cabinet or a good keyboard amp. Makes a world of difference. I have the HD300 and love it  played through PA cabinets in stereo. I set the switches on the back to studio and line.but you need to experiment to find what you like. Don't give up until you have tried it through  full range FRFR type of amplification. Mine is terrible plugged into a conventional guitar amp. Good Luck!

Ok, I bought the HD300 to putz with.. I CANNOT get a useable high-gain tone to save my life! I've tweaked, and tweaked, no dice. I know it takes a lot of tweaking, but I've lost patience, and I'm ready to sell it!

I want to dig it, but it sounds like sh*t, so I'm hoping for some helpful info. I've updated to v2.0, if that helps. I can get nice cleans, and it's got some great effects, but, I can't get a good, base, heavy rhythm tone for nothing! Not with headphones, in front of my amp, or through the loop.

Advice on hooking it up through an amp, and parameters, and what to do/not to do would be nice, since the manual it came with basically sucks.

You are exactly where I was when I got mine.. I hated it till I figured it out. First thing to do is hook it up to a pc with hd edit and download some patches/sounds.. The big flaw in these hd models imo is the 400/500 are not compatible.. so the 300 sounds that are uploaded are weak.. I can't even find a randy rhodes sound ffs.. hes like the king of rock/metal..

Also, if you're trying to adjust settings on the board itself, I advise against that.. You can but its such a pain in the lollipop.. just use HD edit, load up any preloaded sound are just start tweaking.. What band/sound do you want? The 300 is very limited in my opinion.. You can only get 3 effects and a reverb and you can't even get flanger and chorus at the same time as they are in the same effect 2.. so its either or, not both.

I should probably upload a complete noob video or something because I played acoustic guitar for like 20 years and had no clue about electrics or the gear and trying to figure this pod 300 out was like pulling teeth.. I didn't even use it after the first week of messing around with it till about 2 months later thats how much I hated it and my line 6 spider 2 1 12 had a better metal sound that I could get out of that board back then till I learned how to use the thing.. and even now Im not a pro at it yet.. Just watch and read a lot about it, you'll pick up how to use it easy.. I actually came here to  lollipop about the stupid thing not being able to get a decent randy rhodes sound and a lot has to do with the 3 effect limit and certain effects can't be used at the same time.. Or maybe Im missing something..