Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Remove Electronics Variax 600

Hi everyone,

might be a stupid question but how can I remove the electronics from my Variax. I broke the Volume Pot and want to change it with the help of a friend.

Do I have to remove the neck or is there another way ?

Thanks !

Hi everyone,

might be a stupid question but how can I remove the electronics from my Variax. I broke the Volume Pot and want to change it with the help of a friend.

Do I have to remove the neck or is there another way ?

Thanks !

The first time I removed the guts of my 300 (essentially the same as a 600 as far as this job goes), I removed the neck, as that's how it appeared I had to do it.

Once I had finished removing everything though, I realised I needn't have done it that way.

This isn't like removing the guts of a Strat, where the pickups etc are connected to the pick-guard, and you simply remove the screws holding the pickguard in place, then pull the whole guts out, still.connected to the pick-guard. The innards of the Variax 300 and 600 are connected to both the coffin case AND the pick-guard, and the coffin case is screwed into the body cavity, so it won't come out together.

Once all the controls (knobs, pickup selector) are separated from the pick-guard (two teaspoons - one either side of the control knobs to lever them up works - the selector knob will probably be the stiffest to remove - also note where the selector is situated before removing - I suggest setting it to custom 1 or 2 so you remember how to re-install it), and the pick-guard screws are removed, you can lift the pick-guard at the bridge end, and once clear of the knobs and pickup selector, you can pull it further away from the neck, and out from under the fretboard overhang.

Hope this is clear enough - if not just shoot another question!