Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp bypass volume? (Two channel mode)

chuberto

Ok, am I being dense here? How long has there been a control for the amp bypass volume on the HD500? Please don't say it's always been there.....

Basically, select an amp model, turn it off and then you have the bypass volume level (I've never noticed it before). Why does this excite me so much you may ask? Well, put an amp in channel A with bypass volume to zero. Do the same for channel B but with a different amp model and set one of the footswitches to control both and you can toggle instantly between the two. You can have different reverbs/delays etc for each channel but the tails will carry over if they're put after the amp models (but still in separate channels) and there's no lag between switching.

I had previously been using a volume pedal set to zero in each channel to do the same but it obviously uses two fx blocks so this discovery kicks butt all over that. It's absolutely perfect for my needs, I can go from a rhythm patch and straight into a completely different lead sound with huge delay and when I switch back, the delay tails carry over smoothing the change seamlessly. You can also use the toeswitch on the wah to do it, so that you've got a rhythm patch and when you hit the wah you get a different amp with different effects; switch off the way with the toeswitch and you're straight back into the rhythm tone.

Before anyone jumps in with "But there's a mode that allows the tails to stay on", this is not the same thing. That is only within the same patch.

• Upvote 1

I'd say that's a good creative use of the hd500. The only thing about having different reverbs and/or delays after each amp is running out of DSP in a hurry, especially if you use effects before the amps and after the mixer. So it's great and very useful, but limiting at the same time.

Too bad it doesn't work with the DT25 this way. If it does I can't figure out how. I'll have to use the volume pedal trick to make it work I think.

Ok, am I being dense here? How long has there been a control for the amp bypass volume on the HD500? Please don't say it's always been there.....

Basically, select an amp model, turn it off and then you have the bypass volume level (I've never noticed it before). Why does this excite me so much you may ask? Well, put an amp in channel A with bypass volume to zero. Do the same for channel B but with a different amp model and set one of the footswitches to control both and you can toggle instantly between the two. You can have different reverbs/delays etc for each channel but the tails will carry over if they're put after the amp models (but still in separate channels) and there's no lag between switching.

I had previously been using a volume pedal set to zero in each channel to do the same but it obviously uses two fx blocks so this discovery kicks butt all over that. It's absolutely perfect for my needs, I can go from a rhythm patch and straight into a completely different lead sound with huge delay and when I switch back, the delay tails carry over smoothing the change seamlessly. You can also use the toeswitch on the wah to do it, so that you've got a rhythm patch and when you hit the wah you get a different amp with different effects; switch off the way with the toeswitch and you're straight back into the rhythm tone.

Before anyone jumps in with "But there's a mode that allows the tails to stay on", this is not the same thing. That is only within the same patch.

• 2 weeks later...

Balls. Forgot about the L6 link and that the DT amp will not know what to do if Amp A is turned off. As a halfway point thought, volume pedal to mute Channel A and still use the same footswitch to turn off Amp B. That way topology is still controlled by Amp A? At least only one fx block is needed that way.