Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD PRO - Recording vocals- help!

idani881

Hi Guys I'm new to this place and to the POD family.

Got a M13 but that's a whole other world.

I'd like to record vocals, however I can't figure out how to just bypass everything and send the MIC imput into cubase as clean as possible.

It's like I HAVE to create a preset that would make the MIC sound good, but can't I bypass everything and go straight into the recording software, bypassing the "guitar path" ?

I hope you guys understand my question..

Just wanna plug the MIC in and record vocals.

Thanks!

well you do have to create a patch with the input set to mic at the very least... 

just use one of the empty patches if that's what you want...

there are some mic related tones already in the pod on a voc/aco/bass setlist (or similar named) assuming you have the latest firmware.

well you do have to create a patch with the input set to mic at the very least... 

just use one of the empty patches if that's what you want...

there are some mic related tones already in the pod on a voc/aco/bass setlist (or similar named) assuming you have the latest firmware.

Thanks I did that, but the tone was very bad and low volume.

I did not find any built in tones for vocals, i'll look again.

But for the record- should vocals sound "good" when taking a patch the the imput set to mic, and nothing more?

Or will it sound quiet and low quality like in my case?

THanks.

Assuming that you are using a dynamic mic (condensers or other mics that need phantom power don't work) have you correctly adjusted the mic trim knob that is hiding on the back somewhere (I have an HD500).

You could add just a Pre-Amp model or a Tube Compressor to an otherwise empty signal chain if you need to raise the level more.

• Upvote 1

Assuming that you are using a dynamic mic (condensers or other mics that need phantom power don't work) have you correctly adjusted the mic trim knob that is hiding on the back somewhere (I have an HD500).

You could add just a Pre-Amp model or a Tube Compressor to an otherwise empty signal chain if you need to raise the level more.

Thank you, i'll try that. the trim knob, I think is in the front and unpressed.

i personally like to record it a little on the low side... leaves room for dynamics as well as headroom for the plugins and processing i'm likely to do during any mixing...

but yeah... quality is important... can't fix low quality... low volume is easy enough though.

Almost blew my ears yesterday..

Was testing it with headphones, Master was at 1 o'clock, which I later found out is VERY VERY high volume for headphones.

Vocals were nice and clean in my headphones, but then I accidently switched to a distorted guitar sound.

My ears hurt until now from the HIGHHHH pitch scream my headphones started making at very high volums..

Took me 2 seconds to take them off and OUCH!!!

The single volume control applying to all outputs is not just a bit of a pain for getting levels right, but as you found is dangerous especially when it has the potential to cause hearing damage.

I don't think I can mention this enough - I suggest using a volume control or headphone amp in-line between the HD series and headphones, leaving HD volume up and turning the headphone volume right down.

I used to use the former permanently inline for my IEM which I purchased after nearly getting deafened on a flight once when the Pilot announcements bypassed the entertainment system volume control (because of the IEM sensitivity I had this on minimum). Worse he wouldn't shut up and insisted on completely ruining the end of the film to tell us about some local charity thing which I didn't care a lollypop about about because I was going to transfer to another flight.

The latter is what I now use (Fiio E6 about £20) and not only does it place the headphone volume in your pocket, but also resolves the impedance issues and thus improves the sound.