Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv59 - Breaking Strings Too Often

I am having a LOT of trouble breaking strings. They are always breaking at a very bad time. It is always the 3rd and 4th strings. All other strings have not had the issue. They break at the saddle. With the piezos there, how could I remedy this issue besides changing the strings more often?

Also, what would be the rcomended guage to use? I use 10's now and I am thinking of going to 9's.

you should inspect the groove with a magnifying glass, if there is any sharp-edged damage. You can try to remove this by a sandpaper, but carefully you can injure the nickel-plating. If your guitar is under warranty you better contact your service center.

A friend had the same issue with an Epiphone LP-style guitar, the groove was to narrow, so strings broke always there. He had to send his guitar to service, 'cause couldn't repair it.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take the guitar to a TRUSTED guitar tech who can re-cut the notches in the string saddles.  You may have to raise the bridge slightly to compensate for the deeper grooves in the saddles after the re-cut.  But like moondancer said, it is likely sharp edges in the cuts on the saddles... or poor quality strings.  Or you're an animal when you bend ;) .

One last thought... I don't know if recutting the saddles is safe because I don't know if that will affect the piezo pickups in the saddles.  Make sure your guitar tech understands the Variax.