Sign in to follow this  
Moderato

Drive parameter on Fender Deluxe & Twin Reverb amp models?

Why is there a drive parameter on the Deluxe & Twin Reverb models?  Those amps didn't come with a drive knob?  I thought the volume slider in the editor for the amp model was supposed to be the volume knob on the modeled amp? (Not talking about the guitar or overall volume settings which are in a different menu and are just that). 

The volume slider in the amp model in the editor is the same thing as the "channel volume" on the POD. The best way to think of this is as a volume control outside of the amp model. So if you turn this volume up or down, it won't affect the gain structure of the amp model at all. On non-master volume amps such as the Twin and Deluxe, the drive knob is essentially the volume knob for the amp model. On master volume amps, it's a bit trickier. The drive knob kind of models the preamp gain and master volume simultaneously.

The volume slider in the amp model in the editor is the same thing as the "channel volume" on the POD. The best way to think of this is as a volume control outside of the amp model. So if you turn this volume up or down, it won't affect the gain structure of the amp model at all. On non-master volume amps such as the Twin and Deluxe, the drive knob is essentially the volume knob for the amp model. On master volume amps, it's a bit trickier. The drive knob kind of models the preamp gain and master volume simultaneously.

Oh thanks, that makes more sense to me now.  I assumed that was supposed to be the volume knob on the modeled amp but I guess its purpose is as another way to control volume between patches independent of the actual volume knob on the Amplifi which thinking about it now I can see how that would be useful.  I'm out at the moment but I'll experiment with that later, thanks.  Once you learn where everything is and how to adjust & assign things and what's what, this amp is pretty fun.  It's also helped me to work along side with the full descriptions list in the knowledge base.  I just wish they'ed offer the Shortboard at nice discount to existing Amplifi owners.