Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

keep effects blocks bypass state on snapshot switch

ZSchneidi

Hello guys,

I wonder if there is a way to setup my presets in a way so that if I switch from one snapshot to another that

certain effectsblock DON'T change their current state.

An example.

I have a preset with lets say two snapshots. the snapshots turn on/off a delay.

In the same preset I have a chorus which isn't triggered via snapshot.

I just turn the chorus on/off on demand. Now when I'm on snapshot 1 i turn on the chorus

then i might need a bit more delay. So i wanna switch to snapshot 2.

At this point the snapshot 2 turns off my chorus because its not part of the snapshot 2.

Is there a way to tell snapshot 2 to leave my chorus at whatever state it is at this point ?

I know this might be a bit of a contradiction but i will only trigger few settings with my snapshots.

And don't want to turn off everything i might previously have activated.

Tanks guys.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, if I'm understanding your question/example correctly, it's similar to a problem I'm having and trying to figure out a simpler workaround for. I have a preset with a tone generator effect running independently in the bottom half of the chain (and a clean guitar tone in the upper half) for the intro to "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". There are 3 snapshots to change the background chord generated by tone generator (Gm,Dm, Cm respectively) while playing the intro lead. I wanted to introduce a foot switchable muff (or other gain effect) into the signal chain that would remain "on" when using the same 3 snapshots. Not going to happen unless I quickly switch on the muff for each snapshot and then if I want to go back to clean do it again but turn muff off for each snapshot. The only fix I've found is to just create separate banks (banking up/down would obviously be easier than just described), 'OR' switch to the "8 snapshot mode" (rather than 4) in global and create 3 more (identical to original) snapshots for the tone generator but with the muff switched "on". This, however, requires that you go back into global and change it back to the original snapshot mode when finished if you want the rest of your presets to work properly. I guess it's true of life in general that every time we make a new positive step forward, it creates a new set of potential problems.

As far is I could try to understand your case i guess i pretty similar with a special twist.

What i needed in the first place was to be able to switch snapshots without them reseting various parameters

that might have be done. That should be configurable I need to try that.

But if I got you right you need to change this behavior depending ob what snapshot you calling.

So that you can call snapshot 2 without that one resetting your effects block but if you call snapshot 1 you

actually want that snapshot to reset everything that changed right ?

That is one point that i would actually miss here.

You can switch the overwrite behavior of snapshots globally even with a shortcut.

But I think it would be more convenient if you could set this for each snapshot differently.

So that we can declare one snapshot that overwrites everything while a second leave other blocks untouched.

Hello guys,

I wonder if there is a way to setup my presets in a way so that if I switch from one snapshot to another that

certain effectsblock DON'T change their current state.

An example.

I have a preset with lets say two snapshots. the snapshots turn on/off a delay.

In the same preset I have a chorus which isn't triggered via snapshot.

I just turn the chorus on/off on demand. Now when I'm on snapshot 1 i turn on the chorus

then i might need a bit more delay. So i wanna switch to snapshot 2.

At this point the snapshot 2 turns off my chorus because its not part of the snapshot 2.

Is there a way to tell snapshot 2 to leave my chorus at whatever state it is at this point ?

I know this might be a bit of a contradiction but i will only trigger few settings with my snapshots.

And don't want to turn off everything i might previously have activated.

Tanks guys.

See Helix Help on snapshots, search that page for Global Settings > Preferences > Snapshot Edits.

If I understand what you are asking correctly I currently know of no way to activate a block and have it persist when switching to a snapshot that does not have that block activated. The link Zooey sent you describes what I believe to be is the currently available snapshot behavior on the Helix. The "Recall" setting will allow you to return to a snapshot where you activated a block manually and still have the block active. However, I know of no setting that will allow a snapshot to reflect the state of a block that was activated in a different snapshot. The block has to have already been saved as active in the snapshot you are switching to. If someone else knows how to pull this off please chime in.

This might make a good Ideascale request.

HO, we might be saying the same thing. Here's the Helix Help on this:

Determines whether or not any edits made to a snapshot are remembered when returning to that snapshot. “Recall†automatically recalls any edits made to the snapshot; “Discard†forgets any edits made and returns the snapshot to its state when the preset was last saved.

When you initially recall a snapshot, it'll have the blocks enabled that it was saved with. That can't be prevented, it's how snapshots work.

The global Snapshot Edits setting controls what happens when you enable or disable some blocks, switch to a different snapshot, then switch back to the first one. If it's set to Recall, your changes to the first snapshot will still be in place. If it's set to Discard, they'll be thrown away, and the snapshot will be recalled as it was saved.

I personally use Recall. You can set up one or more snapshots the way you want them for a song before it starts, kind of an on-the-fly custom variation of the preset. If instead you want each snapshot to always be recalled as it was saved, you'd use Discard.

Make sense?

HO, we might be saying the same thing. Here's the Helix Help on this:

When you initially recall a snapshot, it'll have the blocks enabled that it was saved with. That can't be prevented, it's how snapshots work.

The global Snapshot Edits setting controls what happens when you enable or disable some blocks, switch to a different snapshot, then switch back to the first one. If it's set to Recall, your changes to the first snapshot will still be in place. If it's set to Discard, they'll be thrown away, and the snapshot will be recalled as it was saved.

I personally use Recall. You can set up one or more snapshots the way you want them for a song before it starts, kind of an on-the-fly custom variation of the preset. If instead you want each snapshot to always be recalled as it was saved, you'd use Discard.

Make sense?

Yup, that is exactly how I see it and use it. I like this additional method the OP is inquiring about though. It would be a nice option although I know of no way to pull it off right now.

Ah thank you guys for pointing out how this feature behave.

I got it a bit wrong and thought that the "Recall" will recall every changed block on snapshot switch.

But i understand that this would interfere with the nature of snapshots in the first place.

What we expect from a snapshot is that i recreates a pre determined state of the current preset.

If we feel a bit creative and want to use a special effects block in our current session like for example

the chorus effect and want to use this effect in every snapshot then things might get a lil tricky.

I wouldn't define my snapshots to use the chorus because this block if optional.

As far as i understand it now the "Recall" will remember the changes done to a snapshot.

But how can we tell the second snapshot that the chorus should stay active although the snapshot

was saves with the chorus bypassed.

I guess in that case i have to chose whether or not the Chorus should be considered by the snapshot feature

in the first place.

Maybe i could define the chorus effects block as kind of "NOT SNAPSHOTABLE" or whatever ^^

So that whenever i call a snapshot they will set everything EXCEPT the effects blocks they should ignore.

I will open an idea for that. Because I really think that this might come in handy for us all.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Exclude-specific-effects-blocks-from-Snapshots/893972-23508

• Upvote 1

Ah thank you guys for pointing out how this feature behave.

I got it a bit wrong and thought that the "Recall" will recall every changed block on snapshot switch.

But i understand that this would interfere with the nature of snapshots in the first place.

What we expect from a snapshot is that i recreates a pre determined state of the current preset.

If we feel a bit creative and want to use a special effects block in our current session like for example

the chorus effect and want to use this effect in every snapshot then things might get a lil tricky.

I wouldn't define my snapshots to use the chorus because this block if optional.

As far as i understand it now the "Recall" will remember the changes done to a snapshot.

But how can we tell the second snapshot that the chorus should stay active although the snapshot

was saves with the chorus bypassed.

I guess in that case i have to chose whether or not the Chorus should be considered by the snapshot feature

in the first place.

Maybe i could define the chorus effects block as kind of "NOT SNAPSHOTABLE" or whatever ^^

So that whenever i call a snapshot they will set everything EXCEPT the effects blocks they should ignore.

I will open an idea for that. Because I really think that this might come in handy for us all.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Exclude-specific-effects-blocks-from-Snapshots/893972-23508

Voted! For those who like the snapshots the way they work now, nothing would change. This idea may not at the top of my priority list but for those who want a bit more flexibility with snapshot behavior this might be a nice option to have and I think the OP has proposed a straightforward and elegant solution. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be easy to implement as currently in essence all the blocks' bypass state are assigned to snapshots by default. However, great idea!