Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Gearbox on Yosemite?

empa81

Hey guys,

Last night I installed the new Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10, it's wonderful with one flaw.

I can't get Gearbox to install. Anyone have the same problem or know a workaround?

I'm using PODxt and I love Gearbox...

Any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: By "Can't get it to install" I mean that it won't allow me to use my mac drive as installation drive. It has a yellow sign and a text saying "Gearbox can't be installed on this disk".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yosemite is identified as 10.1 (dropping the 0)
and does not pass the requirements of many third party app / driver installers 

Heres a link to a OSX Version change tutorial that is a work around for older OSX drivers and OSX apps to actually load and work in Yosemite 

http://justindaigle.com/blog/2010/02/tutorial-change-mac-os-x-system-version/

Tutorial: Change Mac OS X System Version
By Justin
As I’ve said in a previous post, nearly the exact same process (that is, editing the systemversion.plist file) is used for this as for changing the iPhone OS version, since OSX and iPhone OS are based on the same core, but I’m writing this with more desktop OSX-specific steps and screenshots.

I suppose the question would arise, “Why would one want to do this?†On Leopard, it is incredibly useful in situations where one may wish to install software that claims to require an update that you don’t want to install. I’ll be demonstrating on Snow Leopard, but the procedure is the same on both. In my demonstration, I will be changing the version number from 10.6.2 to 10.7.0. This has no practical use, but will suffice for demonstration purposes.

• Downvote 1

Has there been any confirmation that Line6 is updating GearBox for Yosemite? 

People have said other drivers and software are being updated, I hope they don't consider GearBox discontinued and unworthy of an update.

It would be nice to be able to use my audio interface.

• Upvote 1

I am having the same problem!

I need to use my TonePortKB37 on my macbook air, but under Yosemite I can't install it, I get the same message about being unable to install on Macintosh HD.

Oddly enough I can get Gearbox 3.0 (That came on a CD originally with the hardware) to install on Yosemite, but it can't see my KB37!

When do you think we will get an update?

Surely its just one line of code?

Same thing here. Yosemite is out for almost 3 weeks now (and i'm not even talking about the beta ... ! ) . I can't believe it takes 3 weeks to change how the OS version is checked with the installer (if it is really the problem)

Can we at least have some news about line 6 working on that ? Some softwares have already been updated...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gearbox is legacy and won't be updated.

Line6Tony stated this in another thread.

It's not Yosemite, compatible.. because of whatever changed in Yosemite...

some clever user will hopefully figure out a way to make it work again... but the program itself isn't going to be updated or supported.

Is there a fix for this yet?

I HAVE A FIX

1. Install Windows on Bootcamp
  2. Boot into Windows (I use Windows 8.1)
  3. Install Gearbox
  4. Enjoy

This isn't the workaround everyone wants, but it is a work around. I haven't tried it with parallels (I don't have it), but I assume it would work there.

I was able to install Gearbox on Yosemite.... Here's how.

1. I started by downloading and installing Monkey.
  2. Next updated the drivers and firmware for the for my X3 Live. Monkey was able to establish s connection with the X3
  3. I downloaded the latest Gearbox install package.
  4. Instead of running the install I right clicked and browsed through the contents of the installer.
  5. I then installed just the Gearbox application and it installed without problems

Interestingly, when I ran gear box it recognized the X3 but said it was ignoring it because the driver was incompatible, however, it appeared to download all the presets.

I am new to Gearbox... I have yet to see if I can add a new sound to my X3... It looks promising though!

• Upvote 5

I managed to install and run gearbox successfully on Yosemite.... 

The solution is a follows:

• Download and open Gearbox 3.72.dmg
  • Right click the GearBox.mpkg icon
  • Left click 'Show Package Contents'
  • Double click 'Contents' folder
  • Double click 'Packages' folder
  • You should now see 10 individual packages... Install each one

Note: If you previously installed other Line 6 software with a newer driver, it will not allow you to install the drivers in this package... You will need to uninstall the newer drivers first, then you should be good to go. Search the forum for details on how to uninstall the drivers using command prompt. Someone else posted instructions on how to do this... They also suggested another driver to use... I tried to install that one first and it wouldn't let me, so I ended up installing the drivers from the from the GearBox package above...

Anyway, I am running Yosemite 10.10.1 on a MacBook Pro Retina, with a POD X3 Live, and so far it is working fine... No panic attacks... I was able to create and upload a tone to one of my user presets... 

By the way, before this, I did update the firmware on the X3 using a a separate version of Monkey that I had downloaded previously. I am not sure if this have any relevance with regard to MAC and the X3 playing nicely together once I reinstalled the old drivers.

• Upvote 1

Note: If you previously installed other Line 6 software with a newer driver, it will not allow you to install the drivers in this package... You will need to uninstall the newer drivers first, then you should be good to go. Search the forum for details on how to uninstall the drivers using command prompt. Someone else posted instructions on how to do this... They also suggested another driver to use... I tried to install that one first and it wouldn't let me, so I ended up installing the drivers from the from the GearBox package above...

Anyway, I am running Yosemite 10.10.1 on a MacBook Pro Retina, with a POD X3 Live, and so far it is working fine... No panic attacks... I was able to create and upload a tone to one of my user presets... 

By the way, before this, I did update the firmware on the X3 using a a separate version of Monkey that I had downloaded previously. I am not sure if this have any relevance with regard to MAC and the X3 playing nicely together once I reinstalled the old drivers.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man, my guitar port has been my favorite practice tool for over a decade. Small, light, sounds great for practice in headphones. I can jam with iTunes or youtube or whatever. Just dropped $2600 yesterday on a Macbook Pro, and now I find out that Gearbox is obsolete and can't be used? Just wasted 2 hours of practice time trying to get it to work.

That right there is the last straw for me and Line6. I only used the guitar port for practice anyway, because it's simpler than firing up my AxeFx rig. I guess my Line 6 Journey has reached it's end. 

you do know that pod farm 1.x is a free upgrade and it's the same models in a newer interface...

and i've not heard anyone saying that doesn't work anymore...

Man, my guitar port has been my favorite practice tool for over a decade. Small, light, sounds great for practice in headphones. I can jam with iTunes or youtube or whatever. Just dropped $2600 yesterday on a Macbook Pro, and now I find out that Gearbox is obsolete and can't be used? Just wasted 2 hours of practice time trying to get it to work.

That right there is the last straw for me and Line6. I only used the guitar port for practice anyway, because it's simpler than firing up my AxeFx rig. I guess my Line 6 Journey has reached it's end. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So can we actually install Gearbox on Yosemite? I am using an old PODxt Live and want to download more sounds.

If not, will it work on any older Mac Operating system? I tihnk my macbook air is not using Yosemite.

• 1 month later...

I can install the software, just cannot use it! it sometimes downloads the patches from my X3 Live, sometimes not - stating it doesn't have a driver. 

Even when it does download them I cannot edit them or create new patches. totally useless. 

Time to move away from Line 6 I think. From what I can see the new 500HD and HDX models aren't very reliable. Two of my friends have them and use them for gigging and both have had to return units for replacements. One of them has also had to return an M9 twice after failing mid-gig.

I'll give Boss a look, or start using my TC Nova system instead.

• 2 weeks later...

same for me guys, cannot log to old line 6 edit because of a java problem "cmn.I6java.browser etc..... 

i tried all the downloads, all the things .. then i read that gearbox  was the right tool to use .. sure ... but then, when i download it it says it can't be downloaded in my disk

time for me to leave line6 for something that match my apple universe. it was a good story with line 6 but bye bye 

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

Last night I installed the new Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10, it's wonderful with one flaw.

I can't get Gearbox to install. Anyone have the same problem or know a workaround?

I'm using PODxt and I love Gearbox...

Any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: By "Can't get it to install" I mean that it won't allow me to use my mac drive as installation drive. It has a yellow sign and a text saying "Gearbox can't be installed on this disk".

U need to download GearBox 3.72, then u can't install this in the regular way, u need to open the disk image get the gearbox mpkg /right click show pack contents / contents / packages / install all u can, and done. im using macbook pro 13 mid 2012, Yosemite.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thx for this tip, works also on El Capitan ;-)

• 2 months later...