These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV59 String Volume Issue
by AngelVonFranKim on 2012-02-04 08:48:41

I have had my JTV59 for a week or so. I love it, but I am noticing a couple of issues.

The low E string is not as loud (or present) as the other strings. Any ideas?

My fear is that it is a physical problem with the piezo pickups, and not simply a software issue.

Also, the magnetic pickups have a lot better sustain and "hold on" to the note longer than the models, too. Anyone else notice this?

Re: JTV59 String Volume Issue
by Hey_Joe on 2012-02-04 09:46:01

AngelVonFranKim wrote:

The low E string is not as loud (or present) as the other strings. Any ideas?

My fear is that it is a physical problem with the piezo pickups, and not simply a software issue.

One way to try to adjust the volume of the modeled strings is with Workbench.

Under the Editor menu you will find a "string volume level" parameter that allows you to adjust individual string volumes globally. In your case you may need to lower the other 5 strings to equal the low E. I would think that you'll realize right away that there will be no way that a mag height adjustment will match the piezos and won't need to bother with that. If the Workbench adjustment brings the overall volume too low to match the mag pups it may be a case of a bad 6th string piezo as you suspect. You'll have 2 choices at that point, one is to return and exchange the guitar under the vendor satisfaction warranty period or send it to an authorized service center for repair and be without it for an unknown amount of time and deal with a support ticket and freight charges.

by AngelVonFranKim on 2012-02-04 09:49:25

I have heard someone saying that adjusting the saddle can help. That somehow if the saddle is too low the piezo does not make proper connection. Anyone know about this?

by AngelVonFranKim on 2012-02-04 09:50:04

Also, it's not simply quieter. It is not the full sound of the string.

by Hey_Joe on 2012-02-04 10:04:51

Could be a bad piezo element on that saddle... if that's the case. If it were me and I had time left to send it back under the vendor warranty, I wouldn't mess with it and exchange the guitar, even if you have to wait to get it re-ordered. If there are more in stock, just swap it out and hopefully be free of any hassles other than the drag of calling, getting an RA# and repackaging and arranging to ship it back. If you've been one who has had to wait a long  time to get it after ordering, it may be faster to get the piezo replaced at a service center. Usually a bad piezo is the common cause of this as opposed to other hardware related issues...

on the other hand it may all be able to be straightened out by re-flashing the firmware. Have you updated to the current version yet? That's worth a try before all the other things I've mentioned.

by Hey_Joe on 2012-02-04 10:31:43

AngelVonFranKim wrote:

I have heard someone saying that adjusting the saddle can help. That somehow if the saddle is too low the piezo does not make proper connection. Anyone know about this?

Yeah, the string and piezo need to make proper contact, so it's  worth a try adjusting the saddle.

by AngelVonFranKim on 2012-02-06 10:36:28

OK, this is the solution, and it's really simple.

When you put the strings on the guitar you have to make sure that the "fat" side of the string (look at one and you'll see what I mean) is facing up.

I rolled the string around, so that the "fat" side is up and BOOM! Perfect.

by just-joshin-ya on 2012-02-24 06:51:26

Had the same issue until last night when I turned my string fat side up, and wow what a difference not only with drop d, but with the bass sound of the tele and lp sounds! THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.