These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD Pro, Re-Amping with audio interface
by manu1980 on 2012-08-31 22:00:44

Hello everyone,

I own already a POD HD 500, but i will sell it because i need something for my home studio,

and i have a question about Re-Amping with POD HD Pro and my Presonus Firestudio Tube.

I want to do a method like this:

Guitar -> POD HD Pro-guitar in -> POD HD Pro (Dry Out) -> Audio interface input = to send the dry guitar signal from POD to DAW

Audio interface output -> Re-amp box -> POD HD Pro (Line input 1/4" unbalanced) = to send the dry guitar signal from DAW to POD

POD HD Pro (XLR or Line stereo out) -> Audio interface input = to send the processed sound from POD to DAW

The questions are:

- Can i record with this method Dry and Processed audio simultaneously to my DAW?

- Is the "Dry Out" a unbalanced output?

- If Yes, Should i have a DI-Box between POD and Audio interface?

- Can i use the Dry Out with Variax guitars connected to Variax Digital Input for unprocessed guitar audio to my DAW?

- Has the POD HD Pro the same issue like POD HD500 with the crackly sounds, if the input2 is set to "SAME"?

- Are the Patches of POD HD500 with POD HD Pro compatible?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Re: POD HD Pro, Re-Amping with audio interface
by DeanDinosaur on 2012-09-01 03:47:57

I have the POD HD500 and the solution is quite simple:

1-Set SPDIF in pod to dry out.So NO DI box is needed as you won't get a better signal than that coming out of SPDIF.

Now in your DAW you arm two tracks to record and for one of them you select, SPDIF in, for the other simly pick which ever connection out of your pod you want to use 1/4 or XLR for the Wet pod sound. It works for me. I have the dry tracks in case I ever need them. For My wet sound I disable the reverb and use a plugin to monitor with reverb, so I rarely ever need the dry (Direct)tracs.

by manu1980 on 2012-09-01 04:19:59

I have made already a re-amping with the HD500, buth without SPDIF, the problem is that the Firestudio don't have SPIDIF. :/

I have the possibility to sell the HD 500 with a good price and buy a price dropped HD Pro.

For what i need, i believe that the Pro is the solution than a 500, and i need more for studio recording.

by mazuwa on 2012-09-01 04:43:43

This only describes the way how to  record a a dry and wet signal simultaniously, but not how to reamp over the pod.

Things would be much easier if there was as software plugin like podfarm, but it still dosn't exist for HD series, so you just had to take the dry signal and let them process the plugins.

I don't have a S/PDIF in for my PC, I do everything over USB and analogue. I record the dry mono signal from PATH A, whereas I listen to the effected sound over path B, each Path panned hard left/right.

I have following idea, hope it works:

For reamping finally, you have the DAW dry signal coming over USB  over the LEFT channel analogue Outputs (USB over AUDIO) ONLY, now you connect the left output channel to AUX-In. So your DAW is only sending over the left channel, which is automatically used.

In SETUP menu, AUX-In is routed to the Right channel this time on path B panned hard right, which still is unused and ready for reamping.

The signal will be recorded over USB from the RIGHT channnel.

by manu1980 on 2012-09-01 04:56:52

I know already how it works, but i can't work via USB with 2 ASIO driver together, in windows will have a huge lag!

I can only work with analog I/O,  and all that i wanna know if it work with the method that i have explain in the first post, that's all.

by mazuwa on 2012-09-01 05:39:21

- Can i record with this method Dry and Processed audio simultaneously to my DAW?

The problem is the signal will be mixed if you don't care.

Use the dual path capabilities and pan your original dry guitar signal hard left on path A, finally the re-amped channel on path B, panned hard right.

Don't forget to SETUP your analogue inputs.

P.s: I wouldn't do it simultaniously with this method. Why don't you just record over USB your dry and processed signal at the same time?

As I already mentioned above use path A LEFT for dry, and path B RIGHT for wet, without using a second ASIO audio interface and without using S/PDIF.

- Is the "Dry Out" a unbalanced output?

Yes, it is.

- If Yes, Should i have a DI-Box between POD and Audio interface?

No. Why? It is line level.

- Are the Patches of POD HD500 with POD HD Pro compatible?

Yes, they are compatible, if you only use parameters they have in common. You can make them fit by using HD Edit. You can install both versions for HD500 and PRO. Finally rename the endings.

- Has the POD HD Pro the same issue like POD HD500 with the crackly sounds, if the input2 is set to "SAME"?

The general architecture is the same. I wouldn't call it an issue. You should use "SAME" for a two pathed preset without a mono fx set before it.

- Can i use the Dry Out with Variax guitars connected to Variax Digital Input for unprocessed guitar audio to my DAW?

Corrected thanx Silverhead, sorry.

You must use the analogue outputs of your Variax, for the Dry signal jack at the back is only an analogue signal!!!!!!!!

by manu1980 on 2012-09-01 05:49:01

Thanks to all for taking the time for me, i'll go sell the HD 500 right now!

You are great!

by silverhead on 2012-09-01 06:32:38

manu1980 wrote:

Unfortunately, no. The Dry Out on the HD Pro takes its feed from the analog Guitar input - and only that input. It does not take a feed from the VDI input, even if you set the preset input to Variax. You need to plug the Variax analog (not VDI) output into the Guitar input jack in order to get a dry signal from a Variax guitar to the HD Pro Dry Out jack.

There is a difference in the analog and digital signals from the Variax - and that is exactly the difference. The Dry Out is an analog signal. A digital incoming signal (VDI) requires a D/A conversion in order to be used - and then it is no longer a truly dry signal because it has been processed.

by mazuwa on 2012-09-02 07:44:34

Thanx Silverhead, I made a mistake.

by HDProJohn on 2012-09-04 06:59:43

I think the answers you got were a bit convoluted. Simply put, yes you can record separate dry and wet signals simultaneously. The dry out is unbalanced , and no, nothing needs to he hard panned with the pro. Set your dry and wet out to separate tracks in your DAW and of course with different inputs. BE CAREFUL IF YOUR INTERFACE IS 2 IN/2 OUT! I made the dumb mistake once of not hard panning my master out while reamping and fried a preamp with an infinite feedback loop.

In regards to a DI box, I can't answer because I never tried one. The results I got were nice, but in the world of AE, you never know how good a process is until you step up to the next level. It could be worth it.

by chimp_spanner on 2012-09-04 07:58:38

For what it's worth, here is my setup.

I have an HD Pro/X3 Pro (this will work with either), and a FW410 FireWire audio interface.

Guitar is connected to analog input of HD Pro set to a blank patch, going into my FW410 by XLR.

I run soft amps (POD Farm, Guitar Rig) in Cubase.

When I'm ready to re-amp, I disable my soft amps and send the signal back out to the HD Pro by SPDIF, and the newly re-amped sound can be recorded to a new audio channel, again using XLR.

It's pretty simple The only "issue" with this setup is that it requires you to own more software, but something like Guitar Rig is pretty inexpensive for what it does and you might even find you get good results mixing the two.

I would be using the SPDIF out of the HD Pro but I get weird sync drops in my house when I do that. This way, it's rock solid.

Cheers!

by manu1980 on 2012-09-05 08:16:34

Ok guys, i have record a guitar cover with the POD HD Pro and with my reamping method, the tracks are completely dry.

by JB1973 on 2012-09-28 07:04:12

Isn't there a free "limited function" of pod farm? you could use for reamping? there are other options of course out on the internet some of them free. I was never a big fan of guitar rig but I have tried out and now have guitar rig 5 cause it is pretty damn good and better quality then pod farm plat imo. I would record wet and dry with my pod hd then reamp the dry with something else. I know I know not the popular answer but certainly easier.

by meambobbo on 2012-09-28 08:51:48

sounds good to me!  share the patch!

the EQ is perfect.  the only thing I would change is to make the distortion a bit nastier, with a touch more muddy type breakup on the low-end.  It almost sounds too squishy and clean, which can kind of give it a fake-sounding vibe.  but then again, maybe that's where the bass is supposed to fill that in.  i don't know.  the tone is definitely very close.

by JB1973 on 2012-09-28 10:24:48

good job!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.