Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Copying patches from PodXT Bean to PodXT live

I hate to be this guy.  I am doing a show that has been in rehearsals for a few weeks.  i am using a PodXT with the FBV thing with expression pedal.  Several times in the show I am having to hit the "stomp" or "delay" buttons on the PodXT to turn them on or off.  I managed to score a PodXT live today for cheap.  I could manually copy over these 4 patches I am using, I guess. 

Is it easy to just pull off individual patches (the ones assigned to 25A, B, C, D for instance) and copying them onto the new device?  I am sure I can find a USB cable and hook up my laptop.  If that is what it takes.  But I can't risk screwing up the PodXT bean I have been using.  the show opens tomorrow night.

I guess I just want someone to say "that's easy peasy.  Download Monkey or whatever and you can export from the bean and import into the Live."

Honestly, I could care less about any of the other sounds on either device.  I have been using 4 patches playing out for the past 4 or 5 years without changing them until this show.  Now since I am turning effects off and on, the extra stomp buttons seem perfect for what i am doing.

It might be wiser to go with what you know. I'm not really sure what the problem is with your XT+FBV combo as you don't really describe the issue, but I'm sure with more info someone could tell you how to set it up properly. It might be an easier option than trying a new device (even if it is very similar).

OK, assuming you're going ahead with your plan then it should be relatively easy. However as you've obviously never used the software involved it may take some setting up, maybe not in time for tomorrow.

The first thing you need is GearBox. Use this software to save your patches from the bean and then you'll be able to send them to the Live. You'll really need to read up a bit on the GearBox manual. If you're worried that you may blow away your XT bean patches then maybe you shouldn't be doing it when you're obviously pushed for time. Once saved on the computer though you'll then have a back-up which you should have anyway.

However you may fall foul if your software versions are different. You can use Line 6 Monkey to check the versions of your two devices (you'll need to plug them in separately to check). You may also find that if you have an early version 1.01 that this will not be able to be used via USB. It would need updating via MIDI if that were the case. You'll need to get the Live to the same version as the XT bean.

Do you use any model packs? If so you need to make sure both devices have the same ones.

Best of luck.

P.S. It's "couldn't care less", just one of those internet things I'm trying to stomp out ;)

A word of caution on Model Packs if you purchased your POD 2nd hand (the bean).

If your bean has added model packs that you did not purchase or the previous owner did not gift, you may lose them when connecting to a computer.

If you have model backs that you purchased on your existing Line6 account, not worries.

There is at least one model pack on the bean.  it is the headbanger one, or something.  I don't use any of those amps.  So, does it matter?

I have a clean twin sound with autowah, chorus and digital delay.  I want to use the stomp/delay/mod footswitches rather than the buttons on the bean. 

There is no "problem".  I love the bean with the fbv.  But I need 3 base sounds and each one I need to be able to turn off delay or stomp.  I figured the live lets you do that. 

And it was totally cheap I think.  I paid alot more for the used PodXT when I bought it, not including the 3 FBV's I've bought.  Smoked one plugging a crossover cable in by mistake.

What about using MIDI?  I have a midi cable and the live manual says that I should be able to connect the 2 devices together and save off the channels to the other unit.  What are the problems with that regarding the versions or model packs?

If you aren't using the Metal Pack on the XT then it won't matter for the tones on the XTL. I do love that Big Bottom amp. :)

I've never done the midi to midi transfer so I can't help you on that but if its in the manual you can always give it a spin.

But Gearbox is the easier way to go "if" you get it installed and working. The manual that comes with it is pretty straight forward.

If you run into specific problems be sure to pop back and let us know.

-B

The MIDI to MIDI is easy peasy.  You hit save and then where you choose the destination, you scroll down and it says MIDI dump or something.  It put the sound on the live at the same bank/letter as on the bean.  Then on the live, you hit save, and you can choose the destination you want.  The manual didn't really explain that you have to save the sounds on the unit you downloaded to.  I tranferred all 4 sounds in one bank, and when I went back, the sounds were back to what they were before.  Did it again and hit save on the LIVE after each transfer and they stuck.

I haven't hooked one of thes eup to the computer yet (and apparently, I might not want to).  But this MIDI transfer was a breeze. 

I used the XT Live last night and i had no problems at all.  After I finally got home, I browsed through some of the sounds that came on the LIVE and was pretty blown away.  I guess it has the effect junky pack or something.  And it has these really cool synthy sounds that i really like.  I mean, the eddie van halen tones are cool, but I don't have much use for them. But there is one I think it's called alright mama or mystery train that really cops a good rockabilly tone.  I am really happy with this new mongrel that no one liked at the music go round. 

Cool beans my man - I shall keep the midi - midi trick in my pocket. I still fire up the ole XT and XTL, now and again,  and yessir they still make some purdy music. The FX Junkie pack can get pretty out there.

Glad everything is cool!

Bill