Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Coercer

I recently purchased a GAP Pre73 MKII and a Shure SM7. I'd like to use both of these to record vocals through my POD HD500, but I'm a little confused as to the proper way to set this up. Here's what I'm doing: My SM7 is going into the Pre73's Mic In via an XLR cable, and then the Pre73's output is going through a balanced TRS cable to the POD's Aux in. I read in the manual that the Aux In is unbalanced. Will this negatively affect my signal, or if I use a balanced TRS cable, will the signal stay balanced? Is there a better way to set this up, or a special configuration I need to use?

When I connect the SM7 to the POD directly, via XLR to the POD's Mic In, the level in my DAW seems great and the mic is sufficiently loud (and the SM7 is a notoriously quiet mic). When I use my aforementioned setup, the level in my DAW is very low, even though I have both knobs on my Pre73 cranked to max. This has led me to believe I am doing something wrong. For what it's worth, I am using high-quality Mogami cables.

As a somewhat-related sidenote, is it possible to run my Pre73 as part of an "fx loop"? Would there be a benefit to this? I'd like to use the Pre73 to warm up my bass and I figure that could be a way to do it, or should I simply plug the bass into the Pre73, and then the Pre73 into the POD?

Thanks for reading this and thanks for the help. The world of pro audio sometimes befuddles my brain, so I really appreciate it.

Logically the Mic Preamp output should go into the Aux In since it should be line level already, however; it would be perfectly fine to take into the Mic In on the POD as long as you don't overdrive the signal. I would really wonder where you losing singal level? What's the LED on the front when you have he knobs open? +10?  If so you should have very strong signal already. Most likely the loss is on the usb side into the DAW.  If so there is boost setting inside the driver, which logically should be better. But like I said at then end for the day, if it sounds good it is, so if the mic in is working for you and you like the sound then use it.

As for using the Pre amp for guitar/bass it would replace the modelled preamp on the POD. Look up th e 4 cable method. With a seperate preamp not sure exactly how that would look but it would be something similar.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Good to know the Aux In is correct.

When using the FX loop approach, would the FX Send from the POD go into the DI or the Line In on the Pre73? Also, since the preamp's output is balanced TRS, would that go to the FX Return right or left/mono on the POD?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Good to know the Aux In is correct.

When using the FX loop approach, would the FX Send from the POD go into the DI or the Line In on the Pre73? Also, since the preamp's output is balanced TRS, would that go to the FX Return right or left/mono on the POD?

Thanks again!

I'm not the best expert on this but I'll do my best here. 

The balanced to unbalanced doesn't mean much in your application, bascialy means don't use longer cables, since the POD is unbalanced if using the Aux In. If you need the longer cable stick with the Mic In as all mic cables are balanced.  You have single mic (or Bass guitar) into a single and single preamp. That means you have mono signal. The "balanced" means it would carry and extra ground wire thereby elemiating any noise picked up by a longer cable run (think like 50 cable or longer). 

So this would be my initial setup on it. Bass -> POD Gutiar input.  Add any "pre" effects pedals you wanted in front of the FXLoop block.  POD FX Send -> Project Pre 73 Input (For bass guitar I would try to use the Line input, for mics the Mic input).  Adjust so that the Led on the front are reading around 0db output (doesn't need to be exact). Project Pre 73 Output -> POD FX Return Left (Mono). Add any FX you normally put in a amps "effects loop" after the FXLoop Block. POD output -> Power Amp input. Power Amp -> Speakers. And make sure turn off the Amp block in the POD (set to "No Amp"), the Project Pre 73 is providing "Amp" in the scenerio. Althought you could configured to turn a Amp model on and take out the FXBlock with one switch on the POD have the ability to use either as you preamp.