Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT50, should I return

ukbrightonbloke

I recently bought a DT50 and love the sounds with My music man Sillhouette, and the JTV 59P, but I have 2 issues that may be nothing, just need some thoughts from you all..

The Amp is noisy and hums. I have read using better tubes (vales in my neck of the woods) has helped many who have had hum and noise/hiss issues so I think that will be sorted once my TAD's and GT tubes arrive.. Yes/No?

Second, one of the screws on the top that holds the amp chassis into the cab, one is missing the washer and the screw has been screwed into the cabinet. I know I could unscrew it and get a washer, but what bothers me is that this might have been a repair and not put back properly. The amp is only a few days old, Any thoughts? (photo attached)

Lastly, the amp sometimes 'thumps' when changing topology, is this normal?

What I don't want to do is have an amp that will deteriorate in the next few months, but if these issues are 'normal' and only cosmetic then I am happy to keep it.

Thanks in advance

Chris

post-62783-0-39223200-1418250606_thumb.jpg

the missing washer is odd... and unusual... the impression leads me to believe that it existed at one point... so the amp may not be as new as you were lead to believe.....

having said that the thump or other noises when changing topologies is normal... as is SOME amount of hum.... if it's excessive that's not normal... and tubes can help....

It's pretty obvious from the picture that a washer was there at one point. Maybe it was returned and they did the power transformer fix but they gave the customer a replacement amp? In any event, the amp shouldn't be missing the washer. Make sure you've got a good guitar cable. I've had some really strange noises come from my amp because of a not so good cable or incorrect type cable. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the amp once you get things sorted out.

Cheers Mate!

Just based on your description the amp sounds like it's okay, the thump as realzap pointed out is normal.

But if I paid full price for an amp that has obviously been worked on, then the retailed would either be getting me a new one or major discount. If it's used with that washer missing and the fact it was there at one point, then I would suspect unless a Line 6 authorized service center did the repair that Line 6 would not honor the warrenty on it. I know it's only like a year but on a new price you still pay for that warraety.