Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I use my Spider 2x12 combo as just a cab?

blndsk4

Basically, I just want to run a head to the speakers and bypass the preamp. There's 2 jacks on the back that say speaker outputs, left (8ohms) and right (8ohms) can I run my head into those? I tried running into one of them because I only have one speaker cable at the moment, but it didn't work.

If I can't use those jacks, and I have to install a new one, will it work if i solder the wire to the same tabs that already have the wire from the preamp attached to them? Or would I have to detatch the existing wires? I can provide pictures if this isn't making sense.

Thanks

Just pretend your amp head is going straight to the speakers. Forget all that other jazz.

I do what you're saying and hoping for with my SpiderValve HD100 mkii.

I run a proper speaker cable from the HD100 into a 1/4" brass coupler and then connect it to my Mesa Trem-o-Verb 2x12 combo. The Mesa amp has two 16 ohm Vintage 30's wired in parallel to make it an 8 ohm load. But where I'm lucky is, is the wires from the speaker are connected to a 1/4" angled jack that plugs into the back of the amp, so I just have to unplug "The Plug" and connect it to my brass coupler.

So HD100 into two Vintage 30's ;)

PS: The only reason for the brass coupler is to extend cord length by enabling me to add a long cord, because the Mesa one is short obviously .

Ahhhh - I would stop your experiments for now. 

If I read correctly you ran your Head's out channel into your Spider's ext speaker out? Yikes, my man its a bad idea and you are risking your equipment connecting them incorrectly.

In theory you could disconnect your 2x12 speaker and rewire a jack (or jacks) assembly for the correct ohmage your head would require and mount it with a bracket in the rear of the cab.

Might be better to pick up an extra cab though.

-Bill

• Upvote 2

Ahhhh - I would stop your experiments for now. 

If I read correctly you ran your Head's out channel into your Spider's ext speaker out? Yikes, my man its a bad idea and you are risking your equipment connecting them incorrectly.

In theory you could disconnect your 2x12 speaker and rewire a jack (or jacks) assembly for the correct ohmage your head would require and mount it with a bracket in the rear of the cab.

Might be better to pick up an extra cab though.

-Bill

Yup, good point. I was going to mention it as well but didn't. If he happened to had turned on the 2x12 on purpose or inadvertantly he would have frazzled something for sure.

What he needs to realize or imagine is that the juice from the amp head just needs to go directly to the speakers. Not through any other amp circuitry. And with properly rated cabling, connectors and ohm loads.