Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Condenser Microphone + phantom + Pod Farm Mic Preamp

alainL

Hi to All,

Question about using Pod Farm Mic Preamp.

Does anyone tried to use a Condenser Mic powered with external 48V box into Pod Farm Mic preamp or Tube Preamp models (via POD GX) instead of using a hardware Mic Preamp?

I wonder if this configuration would have enough signal level?

Thanks

You need phantom power or a separate mic preamp, the POD Farm preamp models will not power a condenser mic.

Thanks for the feedback,

Anyhow, I know that there is no phantom power in POD Farm, it's a software.

Actually my question was:

If I have an External Phantom Power device which is powering 48v to the mic (no preamp), will the preamp models in POD Farm be enough to have a decent signal level instead of using an external preamp before the POD GX.

For instance: Phantom power > Mic > POD GX > Pod Farm Tube Preamp

There are Phantom Power boxes available with no preamp in the market that only provide 48V.

That what i'll problably do: try and return as needed.

I think It should works too, plus the fact that you can boost the ouput +16db in the mixing section when sending to host tracks.

I'll let you know then.

Thanks

No, I don't think it will work.  You need a physical preamp that boosts the (very low) mic signal to a usable level, I don't think the GX has that ability.  The 'tube preamp' in PodFarm is a tone changer, not a boost amp - yes you can use it to increase the level, but it will be noisy due to the low signal level.

Hi to All,

Does anyone tried to use a Condenser Mic powered with external 48V box into Pod Farm Mic preamp or Tube Preamp models (via POD GX) instead of using a hardware Mic Preamp?

I wonder if this configuration would have enough signal level?

Thanks

It will work 'cause your going to power your condenser mic before the GX.

That what i'll problably do: try and return as needed.

I think It should works too, plus the fact that you can boost the ouput +16db in the mixing section when sending to host tracks.

I'll let you know then.

Thanks

So what I did real quick was set up my condenser mic with my UX2 and GearBox with "No Amp" or FX and ran Ableton Live Lite 8 (Line 6 Edition) and set that to receive the GX and I have crystal clean sound without even running PodFarm as a VSt so then I added the PodFarm VST and added just the Console preamp then increased the Bass, Mid and Treble and got nice clean unaffected sound. It really didn't change the sound much IMO just boosted it. I didn't even need the preamp. It does work after all unless you can pick me apart, it is kinda early. I realize I'm using GearBox for the UX2 instead of PodFarm but I really don't think it makes much difference.

Added: Signal Chain AKG Perception 420 Condenser mic>TonePort UX2>Line out 1 into GX guitar input (monitored with headphones from the GX) GX Volume was at Max.Both devices plugged in via USB. Opened GearBox for the UX2 (No Amp) record level at 50%, unmute line out (GUI) and at 50%. Ableton receiving GX signal.

The UX2 output line was set at Max and the Mic Gain was set at approx 70%. The UX2 was the 'puters default device although I don't think it really matters. I could have just as well set the GX as default.

Ok here's a sample: Condenser Mic Rig UX2 Power Into GX I just set the mic on the table in front of the 'puter and adjusted the record level (in GearBox) appropriately.

As far as I can see here I'm only duplicating the 48v phantom power  with the UX2 to simulate the OPs phantom power device. So this may not be conclusive.

Edited by Brazzy

Yes, that would work - the UX2 has phantom power and a mic preamp in it, the GX (as OP asked about) does not.  There's really no reason to use the GX if you are using the UX2!

The OP has been saying he's going to use a phantom power device, At least that's how I read it. lol. So my explanation is same 'cause I'm using UX2 and only the phantom power power part of it. I repeat he's says he's going to use a phantom power device before the GX. The routing I've used is the same thing. You have not convinced me. I need more evidence, lol. Is it fair to say that not all 48v phantom power devices are not created equal?

Hi to All,

I wonder if this configuration would have enough signal level

As far as I know all one needs to do to make a condenser mic work is power it with 48v, it's similar to a power mic back in the  CB days. The preamp part is separate.

So your saying that the UX2, no matter what I do. Even if I use a clean path, no amp etc, etc. is still being affected by a mic pre amp. Maybe I need clarification on this.

To the OP, Make sure you do your research so you understand what it's all about before you try stuff. Sounds like you are like me a bit in that you like to experiment with things. It always pays to read as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can

Rock On and Good Luck. Be sure to let us know how it works for you.

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/28-PHANTOM_POWER_BASICS_MICROPHONES_PREAMPS.html

PHANTOM POWER BASICS: Microphones/Preamps

Certain microphones (and other devices) have onboard electronics that require electricity; "Phantom Power" is a very common method of powering these devices. It's called "phantom" power because it works "invisibly" by sending DC power back to the device using the same microphone or instrument cable that carries the audio signal from it. One cable, two jobs!

phantompower.gifPhantom Power is best known (and most often used) as a power source for condenser microphones (like our K&K Sound Golden Bullet Mics and the DPA 4099 Bass Mic), though many active DI boxes and preamplifiers can also use it to supply their operating power (like the K&K Pure XLR Preamp or the Fishman Pro EQ Platinum Bass, among others). As you can see in the image to the right, the same cable carries the audio signal FROM the preamplifer, while the mixing board sends DC power TO the preamplifier, all without adding noise to the signal. This makes it possible to use the preamplifier without draining the battery or using an external power supply.

VOLTAGE IS IMPORTANT: There are two general types of phantom power microphones: the more common type that typically uses XLR (aka microphone) connectors and requires between 12-48 volts, and the type ordinarily used with "mini" condenser mics that uses approximately 9 volts in parallel with the signal cable. The 9v type is usually terminated with ¼" phone plugs rather than an XLR. Because they use different voltage levels, they are not interchangeable.

Phantom power supplies are often built into mixing consoles, microphone preamps and similar equipment. Alternatively, a separate dedicated unit can be inserted into the microphone circuit as required. In the case of the Golden Bullet Microphone, the mic comes with its own dedicated "power box" which is operated by a 9v battery and passes the audio through to your amplifier or mixing board.

The AKG 420 Condenser mic I'm using may not need a pre amp read below

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6966602-post6.html

The output of a lot of condensors (especailly Rode) is actually hot enough to not really require a mic preamp. However, you need phantom power, so unless you are running a tube condensor that has it's own power supply, or battery powered condensors, you would normally use a mic preamp - even if it's set at low gain.

Your Saffire interface of course contains mic preamps with phantom power, so you don't need another external mic preamp unless you want to experiment with different colors.

I would hold off buying a mic preamp - you will find the condensor is hotter than your dynamic.

So  what I'm I'm gathering here is that a mic pre is not always needed but the proper amount of phantom power is. I'm done with this particular post, lol. Just this post not the thread :)

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Best Wishes and Many Future Blessings to All.

The OP has been saying he's going to use a phantom power device, At least that's how I read it. lol. So my explanation is same 'cause I'm using UX2 and only the phantom power power part of it. I repeat he's says he's going to use a phantom power device before the GX. The routing I've used is the same thing. You have not convinced me. I need more evidence, lol. Is it fair to say that not all 48v phantom power devices are not created equal?

When you plug a mic into the XLR input on your UX2 the signal is going through the UX2's mic preamp!

To the OP - yes, for a condensor mic you need phantom power.  For all mics you need a mic preamp.  Some mics have a stronger (voltage signal) output than others, so can get away with a less-strong preamp (like the one in instrument inputs on devices) - but typically the impedance does not match when that is done, so it is an even noiser sound.

• Upvote 1

When you plug a mic into the XLR input on your UX2 the signal is going through the UX2's mic preamp!

To the OP - yes, for a condensor mic you need phantom power.  For all mics you need a mic preamp.  Some mics have a stronger (voltage signal) output than others, so can get away with a less-strong preamp (like the one in instrument inputs on devices) - but typically the impedance does not match when that is done, so it is an even noiser sound.

Thanks for the clarification that the UX2 has a built in pre amp and that all mics need a mic preamp. Sounds like it's all about balancing impedance. I'm really just trying to understand this better so I can reduce trial and error time wasteing, lol. Thanks Again Mike. Your the Man!!