Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to Pod X3, need advice.

KD0991

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum as of today.

First off, I'll tell a little bit about myself as a guitarist.

I've been playing since I was about 12, so about 11 years now. Played in a band for a short period in highschool, now I just fiddle around more of a hobbiest. Mostly do covers, and make up some of my own music.

Started off with a First act strat copy and a first act bass amp 15w (my parents weren't musically inclined and didn't know any better).

I then moved to a Line 6 spider II 75W which I've had ever since with the FBV express pedal, and got an epiphone SG.

Then I picked up a Schecter C-1 Artist with Seymour Duncan JB and 59 humbuckers, still have this guitar.

Later picked up a Washburn WD-10S acoustic and still have that.

And my main guitar is my Ibanez RG7421 with Dimarzio Crunchlab 7 and Liquifire 7 pickups.

I play a variety of music from acoustic/clean stuff, to classic rock, to heavy metal, as well as downtuned and progressive metal style music. Mostly Rhythym.

My G.F. has decided to get me a Used Pod X3 Bean after noticing me looking up a bunch of stuff on them.

My question is as a bedroom guitarist mainly, what would be the best set up to go with?

I've researched and have found info on the Tech 21 Power engine 60 which sounds good, as well as running through a stereo, or monitors, keyboard amps, acoustic amps, PA system, computer speakers, FRFR speakers/monitors, and I'm just not sure what I should try to work with.

My funds are quite limited. Unfortunately my amp doesn't have the CD/mp3 input so I can bypass the pre amp. I'm looking for the most space saving, true to sound to just headphones plugged into the X3 option I can get that won't color the tone much and force me to do further tweaking of my tones.

I'm also a little oblivious as to what cable methods I should be using once I get it.

thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I'm looking for the most space saving, true to sound to just headphones plugged into the X3 option I can get that won't color the tone much and force me to do further tweaking of my tones.

Based on that statement you would want a FRFR type of setup. You could get a good powered speaker and run it into that. But to tell you the truth going into the effects return of a good guitar amp works well too.  You said you didn't want to spend much (makes sense the X3 is not the most current L6 modeller anyway) and I assume you are not playing out with it. Why not just set the X3 output mode for Combo front and go into the Guitar in of your existing Amp? It may not be perfect to the modeled amp but you might be suprised at how good it really is.

My bad, messed that post up. I was going to quote then say, I'll probably try that first. Put my amp on a clean channel, then direct in. It doesn't have an fx loop unfortunately. Have any recommended frfr speakers?

The PE60 you meationed is a good one that a many people use. I run a POD HD unit now but I used to run my X3 when I used it live into a Atomic amp for the power tubes in it. That was really good setup but the Atomics are kind of pricey. You might want to check out some of the Power PA speakers, they would be FRFR as well. I tried that with a my X3 before the Atomic into a Harbringer powered speaker. It was okay, but Harbringer speakers are genearlly junky. But if you were to get SA, Yahama, or maybe JBL power speaker then I'll bet you get a pretty good sound from that. Keyboard Amps are not really truely flat but they do come pretty close too.

I found some of the PE60 on craigslist a guy has two for sale. one for $200.00, both for $375.00.

The atomics look promising, but are out of my price range.

As far as the speakers go, I would want to run two right? Or could I just use one?

Might be a silly question, but could I still use the dual amp feature of the X3 if I'm only runnign one speaker? Would it sound alright still being mono instead of stereo? Same question for running a single PE60.

Sorry to sound like a noob, but my Line 6 spider II 75w is all I've ever known for quite some time now.

Yes you can run just one with dual amp settings. The X3 will sum both of them back to mono if you just use one. If you use two it will run stereo for you a sound a bit better though. But I would guess back in the heyday of the X3 most people used it mono.

So my pod x3 just came in, but guitar center sent me a Dunlop charger not the line 6 px2 for the x3. It won't fit in the hole. I don't have any other chargers that Will fit either. Do they just plug in tight or are they a special size.

The PE 60s are pretty nice and at 33 lbs are sweet. The sound IMO is really good and it has an XLR out to chain them together or out to a mixer. Personally running two in stereo is nice at home but out of the house I can't tell a difference between mono and stereo as far as sound quality.

That said I've ran an X3 into an old Peavey Bandit (FX in loop), Valvestates, Crates..... you name it. The only thing is you have to play with is the EQ and output modes to compensate for differences in speakers, cabs... etc.

A tube power amp with the X3 is awesome and can really bring out extra dynamics but (for my back and wallet) a good SS power amp/cab does the job really well.

-B