Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newby can't get anything to work. Please help.

Hi.  I used do okay in the cassette studio days, but fr some reason I've never been able to get a bit of digital equipment running.  At least not well.  My current tormentor is a Tyler Variax 69.  Beautiful thing, but I can't seem to get any of the guitar models.  I don't know if I'm hooking up to things incorrectly.  I do know the battery is charged and the LED on the bank selection knob lights up.  The tone even changes from standard guitar-and-pickup to something that sounds like a model with a weak signal when I push the selection knob, but it does't change a bit more with further turns of the knob or switches of the pickup selector.  All I know is I bought this guitar on E-Bay, and at the moment I suspect I was ripped off.  WHat I really need is a very patient soul who wouldn't mind questions in email.  I have a stack of them.  I really want this to work, but at the moment it's just confusing and hopeless.  A few days ago it was Workbench that was beating me up.  And LIne 6 Edit.  All related, so it might be one thing out of whack.   Sure could use some help.  Any volunteers?  I'd sure appreciate it.  Thanks.

DJ

Hello DJ,

I am not a Variax guru by any stretch of the imagination but I do understand your pain. The first thing I would suggest would be to connect the guitar to your computer and to reset the internal memory of the guitar. The procedures for that are here:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/variax-guitars-bass-workbench/variax-reflash-and-software-update-instructions-r309

You should have received a USB cable, a cable that looks like a standard computer cable with one of the ends in a round mic style connector and a USB interface.

This procedure will return the guitar to its factory state. After this is done we can start troubleshooting your problems.

Hope this helps!

Peter

• Upvote 1

Hi DJ,

I would first follow Peter's advice. If that doesn't work out well, there is a possibility it's related to the "sticky knob" problem: http://active-guitar.com/guitar-diy/fixing-a-faulty-variax-model-selector (I have to say I'm new to Variax, I own mine only for 4 days now but I did some reading on it). Good luck!

http://line6.com/support/topic/9433-remodelling-knob-on-59/?hl=sticky

If you bought it used, I would reflash it for sure to start from factory settings.  Then if it doesn't work, you may have been ripped off.  You need to hook up the USB interface to flash it from your PC.  That is the only way to put it back to factory settings.  IT sounds like your electronics work somewhat so this should work for you.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I will do that tonight.  Sure hope it works.  I know $725 doesn't sound like much in the music world these days, but it was a lot to me.  Got the money to buy it by selling my Ric bass.  

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I haven't tried PeeWee's suggestion yet, but I did the re-flash thing.  Now all the model slots on the left side of the Workbench HD have changed from model names to rows of question marks.  Feels like I'm going backwards/

It looks like a bad flash. That sometimes happens. Try flashing it again. Occasionally the flashes don't take the first time. If this one fails, try one more time for good measure. If this fails you might need to contact support directly.

Wish I could be of more help. 

For redoing the flash did you reset it all the way back to factory? Because at that point, Workbench HD won't work - you would need to still be using the outboard connection device; they added support for using HD500 and Workbench HD in the later firmware - if memory serves..

Did you get a small plastic box with an ethernet plug jack in one side, and a USB connection out the other>?

Might look something like this:

http://line6.com/media/ips/uploads//monthly_12_2013/post-1791374-0-03215900-1386556717.jpg

I think mine is the older kind with the transparent plastic, might look like this (scroll down in thread)

http://line6.com/support/topic/7313-replacement-rj45-cable-for-usb-hub/

Firmware 2.0 added the HD models; but it wasn't until the next firmware (2.10) that they added the ability for the JTV to connect through the HD500 to a computer:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/variax-workbench-hd-release-notes-r542

"Workbench HD does not support computer connections via POD HD devices. You must use the Workbench VDI to USB interface only."

In the 2.10 update they added the HD500 connection option:

Variax & Workbench Release Notes v2.10

This FREE update of Variax firmware and Workbench software addresses a selection of performance issues and is recommended for all owners of James Tyler Variax guitars.

Variax HD v2.10 adds:
•Workbench HD functionality when connected to POD HD500, POD HD PRO, POD HD500X, POD HD Pro X
•Smoother model switching

Note: Variax v2.10 firmware is compatible with v2.00 models. We recommend backing up your presets with Workbench before updating Variax firmware.

Workbench HD v2.10 adds:
•Workbench HD functionality when connected to POD HD500, POD HD PRO, POD HD500X, POD HD Pro X
•Much faster initial sync between Workbench HD and Variax
•Bridge and Middle pickups are now combined correctly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, all.

Well, I tried it again right after I posted last, and again it was no go.  Then I turned the wrong direction and ended up in bed for nearly a month.  Chronic pain and spinal issues.  Pretty much slept a month away.  So today I am moving again, and I sat down and tried three more times to reflash, but I still end up with nothing.  I have a sick feeling I was ripped off on this guitar.  I guess that's what I get for going through E-Bay.  I did try everything posted here, but it just does nothing.  I still have nothing but rows of question marks where model names should be in the HD Workbench (see image above).  I tried installing the old workbench but it refuses to run.  Not sure why I'm so technically challenged, but nothing seems to work and the frustration level is pretty bad.  I'll try talking to the service department and see how much it'd be to just have it repaired and be done with it.  I appreciate all the advice, though.  It's nice to know there are good people here who help.