Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax switches to a drop D from standard tuning

Hi folks! This has happened twice now, the guitar goes to a drop D tuning from standard tuning, even though I have not touched the tuning knob. Both times I have been hooked up to a computer via USB and to the pod via a VDI cable, and doing editing.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Thanks cruisin on 2 ! I will double check all my settings. As far as I recall I was just playing and checking out the tone when it dropped down. I will pay closer attention if it happens again, and see if I can find out the reason.

• 2 months later...

I have two JTVs.  I have them both at the most recent software level as of mid May 2015.  I have experienced the phantom drop D tuning on one of the JTVs multiple times.  I have to power it off to get it out of drop D.  I had it happen during a gig and at first thought the bass player was Fing up.  then I realized I was in drop D and was trying to switch patches and switch back, messing with my tuning dial all while attempting to sing and play.  I should have turned off the modeling and used the pickups.  Instead, I muffled the string that was formerly my low E.  After the song, I powered off my HD500, unplugged the variax and powered everything back up.  

Since multiple people are experiencing this, it seems like a bug. 

I have a similar problem with a JTV-59. In my case when I switch to drop D I sometimes get DADGAD instead. If I switch back to standard and try again that usually clears it up but sometimes I have to try a few times. Once it's right it seems to stay that way. Do you think this is related or something else entirely? I'm not using a computer when this happens. It happens just playing through my amp.