Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using only effects with my yamaha THR10x

Gnasty1

I really like my tone on this little toaster amp but i can`t figure out for the life of me how to just use my Hd500x as effects only.

Since my Yamaha 10x only has one input for guitar in, i was told to plug 1/4" L/Mono out into amp and guitar in on HDPod cable to my guitar but it doesn`t let me hear my amp that way. That way of inputs is for using the Pod`s modelling. I can`t do the 4 cable method.

Can anyone please tell me the right way to do this? I sure hope there is a way. Thank you :)

According to me this is a hardest question regarding HD500X.

I hope to see a satisfactory answer from someone experienced.

Each amplifier is different , but in my opinion it is important to answer what kind of setup should be installed when you are going to clean amplifier, then the case of a few standard patches explained how to adjust each parameter separately.

I do not know the answer :( and I have a problem to achieve a satisfactory sound with similar amplifier like yours.

Here are my suggestions.  There are two ways of doing this.

1.  Guitar -> HD500 in - HD500 1/4 out -> THR10X in.  This puts your POD in front of the THR.  Do not use any amp model in the POD, just the effects you want to use.  The only problem here is some effects are best after the amp (THR) like delays, reverbs, chorus, etc. and you can't do it this way.  Still it should work just fine with sound coming from the THR speakers.

2.  Guitar -> HD500 in - HD500 FX Loop send -> THR10X in - THR Headphones out -> HD500 FX Loop return - HD500 1/4 or XLR outs -> powered speakers/amp.

This puts the THR in the FX Loop of the POD.  Now you can use the compressors, distortions, etc in front of the amp and the delays, reverbs etc after the amp.  I don't know it the THR speakers are disabled with headphones plugged in, I would hope so.  Use the mono FX send to the THR and use an insert cable to go from the stereo headphone plug to two 1/4 mono plugs for the FX return.  Again, no POD amp model selected with this setup.

Insert cable example

Hey thanks Radatats. I will try both those methods when i get home. Yes speakers shut off when headphones are in. I know its not going to work with all effects but it should work for the money you pay for it.

Some of the modeling features on that Yamaha amp sure look familiar....

imagine that!  lol...

Actually this amp was made in 2012 before Yamaha bought Line 6, and it sounds closer to a Marshall than i`ve heard in my HDpod.

Less pick noises and mudiness. But that`s just my opinion. :)