Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Presets / Tones dn't sound like internet samples

Uthi

I copied sounds given in the internet by setting the knobs (actually I used the software) to the same position as shown in some videos. E.g. I took settings from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVLrhsUrc8E.

I found my Valve MK II 212 sounds considerably more muffled/close than in the sound samples given. I can't reach the level of openess. If I turn down bass/mid it gets clearer but of course it looses punch/impact too. 

Is there maybe something I have generally forgotten to set up?

Also with the presets from customtone. In most cases they do not sound as indicated. They are "stump" as described before.

I used different guitars and made sure they are not turned down for volume and/or tone. However, It did not really change the situation. I also made sure to use the most updated software.

Any comment is welcome!

Andreas

I copied sounds given in the internet by setting the knobs (actually I used the software) to the same position as shown in some videos. E.g. I took settings from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVLrhsUrc8E.

I found my Valve MK II 212 sounds considerably more muffled/close than in the sound samples given. I can't reach the level of openess. If I turn down bass/mid it gets clearer but of course it looses punch/impact too. 

Is there maybe something I have generally forgotten to set up?

Also with the presets from customtone. In most cases they do not sound as indicated. They are "stump" as described before.

I used different guitars and made sure they are not turned down for volume and/or tone. However, It did not really change the situation. I also made sure to use the most updated software.

Any comment is welcome!

Andreas

Customtone is a nice idea...but one that translates poorly into reality. You cannot really expect anyone else's settings to sound identicle on your amp, as there are too many variables involved...different guitars, string gauges, playing technique, the room the person was sitting in when they dialed in the tone. All of these things contribute to one's sound. Even two of the same amp sitting next to each other with the same settings are likely to have some degree of tonal difference. Translating it to another player, with a different guitar, in a different environment will never result in identicle sounds...it just isn't gonna happen.

Also, youtube clips are not a reliable means of tone-matching...there's no telling how the clip was recorded, as that will introduce yet another set of variables that will color the sound.

Your best bet is to experiement and find the sound you're looking for...otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life trying to match somebody else's tone, and never really get there.

• Upvote 2

Customtone is a nice idea...but one that translates poorly into reality. You cannot really expect anyone else's settings to sound identicle on your amp, as there are too many variables involved...different guitars, string gauges, playing technique, the room the person was sitting in when they dialed in the tone. All of these things contribute to one's sound. Even two of the same amp sitting next to each other with the same settings are likely to have some degree of tonal difference. Translating it to another player, with a different guitar, in a different environment will never result in identicle sounds...it just isn't gonna happen.

Also, youtube clips are not a reliable means of tone-matching...there's no telling how the clip was recorded, as that will introduce yet another set of variables that will color the sound.

Your best bet is to experiement and find the sound you're looking for...otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life trying to match somebody else's tone, and never really get there.

I couldn't have said it better cruisin on, which is why I don't even bother with tone matching for me it just seems like a gimmick and waste of time. I much prefer to create my own tones any way.

I believe there are countless hours spent by guitarists trying to "nail" someone else's tone when the time would be far better spent working on their own tone, style, and chops. This is my own humble opinion of course.

• Upvote 1

I also agree with cruisinon2,

I recently received a request to give some of my tones to another player. I explained it would be better for me to just help him dial in his tones based on his guitar, pickup, style, and performance requirements. Unless there is some trouble with your amp (try using it's direct output to another setup for testing), I suggest make your own tones.

It seems, my general mistake was: I quite turned up the master volume to give the tubes the chance to "get going". And since this amp is REALLY loud, I had to turn down the channel volumes. By doing so I cut the sound. After adjusting (channel up and master down) it sounds better. More open.

But what so ever, I fully agree, one has to set up own sounds. Although the presets can serve as a first idea. I do not play in a cover band, so I am fine with a "handfull" of different tones. Moreover, I use the MKii 212 as a second amp besides a "classical tube amp". I found the MKii does an excellent job as "enhancement amp". I also use him sometimes as "single amp".

I recenty read they gave up producing the Valve. Maybe it has too many choices for "classic amp" players. And, as I found, one really needs to tweak the sounds quite carefully till they fully match to what one is looking for. Needs some knowledge (e.g. about effects), time, and patience.

Uthi,

Thanks for posting how that issue happened. Yes, the amp is very loud on some models. Keep the Master about a quarter up. Unfortunately, that is too sensitive to make adjustments, so some of us here, including me, have used an external effect in the loop like an EQ with a volume level to bring it down. This can let you put the Master about half way up to allow for easier overall volume adjustments. It is what it is.