Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about Paths & Splits

GlennDeLaune

I'm sorry, I meant two splits in the same path. Like two splits in Path 2. Also, is there a way to make the amp change amps? For example, Can I have let's say the Brit 2204 change into the Jazz Rivet and assign that to a foot switch? So that way I wouldn't have to use two amp blocks taking up space and DSP.

Ahh... Neither feature (X-Y block state and 2 splits per path) is possible (as of now)

Not exactly what you want to do, but you can easily create an X-Y state within the same amp model though...

I'm still trying to understand the X-Y thing. Can you explain to me how i would do the X-Y changing of two amps without actually having two amp blocks loaded? Thanks for your help.

It wouldn't be 2 amps- it would be the same amp block, but with different settings for each state. You just assign each amp parameter to the same FS (up to 8 parameters can be assigned).

For example, Gain: assign to FS 2, min =4.7 (X state)   max= 8.3 (Y state)

Repeat with B/M/T , Channel volume and if you wish, master, sag, presence etc... up to 8 parameters.

Now your FS2 will toggle between the 2 sets of values.

Can a Pathway have more that one splt?? I'd like to use a paralell path to have two sections. One would be for effects before an amp so it would merge right before the amp and the other split & merge would go after the amp.

Yes, using both Path 1 and 2 you can do this. So you'd have 1A and 1B splitting and merging before the amp model, then set the output of Path 1 to be Path 2, and then split Path 2 into 2A and 2B, and merge them where you want to.

• 3 weeks later...

I desire something remarkably simple, and yet...seeming ****ing impossible.  Here's all I want:

A way to toggle between sound path 1 & sound path 2 with a single switch. I do NOT want to assign a bunch of blocks to a single switch in order to do it; for a host of reasons, no. I just want to toggle between soundpaths; one for my clean amp, one for my dirty amp. This HAS to be doable, no? 

Please explain, in detail so great that a child currently being held back in the third grade could understand it, as that's apparently my proficiency level at the moment. Thanks!

I desire something remarkably simple, and yet...seeming ****ing impossible.  Here's all I want:

A way to toggle between sound path 1 & sound path 2 with a single switch. I do NOT want to assign a bunch of blocks to a single switch in order to do it; for a host of reasons, no. I just want to toggle between soundpaths; one for my clean amp, one for my dirty amp. This HAS to be doable, no? 

Please explain, in detail so great that a child currently being held back in the third grade could understand it, as that's apparently my proficiency level at the moment. Thanks!

There are a number of ways to do it, but the cleanest way is probably to set up a controller that controls the level control of the output block of each path to the same switch. Just set it so the min and max values for each path are opposite of one another, i.e., when Path 1's output is at the max, Path 2 will be muted and vice versa.

Another way is to assign the Route To parameter of an A/B Split to a switch:

1. Select the A/B split

2. Menu button

3. Controller Assign

4. Use the encoder to select the controller you want to use, such as footswitch 2

5. Min and max values should already bet set correctly

6. Home button

There are a number of ways to do it, but the cleanest way is probably to set up a controller that controls the level control of the output block of each path to the same switch. Just set it so the min and max values for each path are opposite of one another, i.e., when Path 1's output is at the max, Path 2 will be muted and vice versa.

Thanks. I managed to get this working, but the problem is that using this approach, I lose the delay/reverb trails when I toggle. If I'm using a delayed lead tone, I want to be able to switch to the other amp in one click but still get the decay of my delay and 'verb.  Ideas?

Another way is to assign the Route To parameter of an A/B Split to a switch:

1. Select the A/B split

2. Menu button

3. Controller Assign

4. Use the encoder to select the controller you want to use, such as footswitch 2

5. Min and max values should already bet set correctly

6. Home button

Thanks. I think I understand several of these instructions, but not the first one. Where am I placing the A/B split in the path? Annoyingly, Helix doesn't just let you place A/B switch block anywhere you choose like any other effect...I'm only offered the option of placing an A/B split when going from Sound Path 1A to Sound Path 1B (or 2A to 2B), and that's not what I'm trying to do.  Here's the ideal chain for me:

Input 1 --> compression --> wah --> [any other pre-amplifier effects that I want to hit BOTH amps] --> A/B SPLIT (A continues down Sound Path 1; B sends to the input for Sound Path 2). This way, when I switch back and forth between paths, I'm not losing delay/reverb trails. Possible?

Thanks. I think I understand several of these instructions, but not the first one. Where am I placing the A/B split in the path? Annoyingly, Helix doesn't just let you place A/B switch block anywhere you choose like any other effect...I'm only offered the option of placing an A/B split when going from Sound Path 1A to Sound Path 1B (or 2A to 2B), and that's not what I'm trying to do.  Here's the ideal chain for me:

Input 1 --> compression --> wah --> [any other pre-amplifier effects that I want to hit BOTH amps] --> A/B SPLIT (A continues down Sound Path 1; B sends to the input for Sound Path 2). This way, when I switch back and forth between paths, I'm not losing delay/reverb trails. Possible?

Here's a preset for what it is I think you might want. It may not be the best way to do this, but it should work. It allows for some common pre-effects and a separate cab, delay, reverb, etc. for each amp, and/or common post effects. The delay and reverb tails are there regardless of the effect's trails setting, because the delays and reverbs are always active; the trails setting is used when the effect is bypassed.

If you want to smoothly transition between the two amps, you could also assign the Route To parameter to one of the expression controllers.

Also, I didn't try to actually make any sort of usable tone with this preset. I didn't actually even try it. Just randomly chose the blocks.

TwoAmpSwitch.zip

Thanks. I managed to get this working, but the problem is that using this approach, I lose the delay/reverb trails when I toggle. If I'm using a delayed lead tone, I want to be able to switch to the other amp in one click but still get the decay of my delay and 'verb.  Ideas?

Well, yes, I do... The other thing you can do is set up the same sort of toggle thing as I mentioned above, but rather than control the output block level, control the channel volume parameter in each amp block and again set it up so they're volumes are opposite of each other. That would give you trails for any effects after the amp block.

Setting up a split block as mentioned above is an option, too. The method I'm suggesting is for when you want to completely separate paths with the same input. Because you can select the same input for multiple input blocks on the Helix, you don't actually need to start off with a merged path. But if you want to use the same effects before each amp, than that's the way to go.

Here's a preset for what it is I think you might want. It may not be the best way to do this, but it should work. It allows for some common pre-effects and a separate cab, delay, reverb, etc. for each amp, and/or common post effects. The delay and reverb tails are there regardless of the effect's trails setting, because the delays and reverbs are always active; the trails setting is used when the effect is bypassed.

If you want to smoothly transition between the two amps, you could also assign the Route To parameter to one of the expression controllers.

Also, I didn't try to actually make any sort of usable tone with this preset. I didn't actually even try it. Just randomly chose the blocks.

NAILED IT. Thanks!