Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Live

bazilica20

Hi Folks...This is my first post,i was wondering if anybody has any feedback on using the Helix in a live situation but using it more as a preamp through a poweramp(something like the Matrix) into a guitar cab?Im still waiting to purchase mine due to a long back log of orders,but when i do i think this is the way id like to use it live...Many Thanks Barry.

Over on the mega-thread on TGP there are several people who meet this criteria.  One guy is having a great time running into a Friedman ASM12.

If you go check it out, search for posts by X-mann.

The Friedman ASM12 is a powered FRFR speaker. Not exactly the same as running into a Matrix power amp and then into a cab as X-Mann is still using cab IRs with the FRFR speaker.

Hi Folks...This is my first post,i was wondering if anybody has any feedback on using the Helix in a live situation but using it more as a preamp through a poweramp(something like the Matrix) into a guitar cab?Im still waiting to purchase mine due to a long back log of orders,but when i do i think this is the way id like to use it live...Many Thanks Barry.

bazilica, If you are using a real cab, you might want to try the "Preamp" models of the amps you want, then make sure you do not use modeled cabs (or disable them in the patch if already used) then go into the Matrix and then into the actual cab, for best results. The Helix offers both "Preamp" (no cab)  and "Amp" (with cab) models.

Basically, the guideline is: If going into the board or FRFR speakers, make sure the patch has a cab in it (or it is using the full "amp + cab" model), if going through power amp and then into a guitar cab, then do not use a cab model (or disable if the patch already has one) because you have a real cab in the chain already.

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email from Matrix after asking about the Neolight cabs with Helix, they suggested waiting till December when the active cabs FR10 and FR12 are available. Very light and small frfr powered cabinets, ported for extra bottom end. Sound like they might be the compact answer to the problem of no longer having an amplifier behind you. And apparently at a pretty good price point too, I think it's likely that's going to be my choice. I guess the idea of having to lug a Helix, a large cab and a preamp around really defeats the purpose for me.