Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Antares ATG vs JTV with custom alt tunings and pickups from workbench

Some of the electrics sound good. The tuning system, hate to say, is probably superior to the Variax since it's, well, Antares and they're probably the best pitch shifting company on the market right now.

The Acoustics sound meh though. I blame that on the mag pickups and the electric strings. Not enough top end.

That said, the Variax still has one of the best pitch shifting systems for a guitar, and I haven't heard any pitch shift pedal come close to sounding as realistic in alt tuning as the Variax.

The Electrics on the Variax are amazing, and the only true gripe I still have is the palm muting being a bit more bassy and lacking treble of a real guitar, but the palm muting improvements have seriously helped with it a long way. My JTV sounds miles better than my 600.

I like some of the features the Auto Tuner has, but ultimately, for playability, Variax wins.

I want to treat the modeling like it's just another guitar, and I love having the model and pickup selector be on the guitar, not a floor board.

ATG is better than the Roland stuff, but I probably wouldn't take it over a Variax.

• Upvote 2

Please don't judge the ATG-1 acoustic sound by that demo.  In real life it's far superior to anything you can get from a Variax or Roland GR-55/GP-10, an opinion shared by many folks who, like myself, own all of them.

• Upvote 2

Please don't judge the ATG-1 acoustic sound by that demo.  In real life it's far superior to anything you can get from a Variax or Roland GR-55/GP-10, an opinion shared by many folks who, like myself, own all of them.

Well, to be honest, they sound awful in the demo, but there's been demos where I feel like they sound different then actually having it in your hands.