Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help setting up HD500

rxdca

I've had an HD500 for a couple of years now and I haven't really used it yet because the setup just seems so doggone complicated. I've got a XT Live that I've continued to use instead because it gives me tones that I'm used to and that are useful to me. But I would really like to make the switch because, after all, I have the HD500 and want the superior tones. But I don't have a Ph.D. in engineering. What I do have is some time off over Christmas where I can really dig into the HD500 and see if I can get some usable tones. I'd like some help with the complexity of the settings, maybe even taking it one efx at a time, and I hope there are some who understand it better in here and who are willing to help me.

You should share some information about your set up such as which amp/amps you'll be using. Where do you play? What guitars do you use? and anything else you might think is pertinent. Such as what kind of tones you need/want.

It's not really hard to make patches but dialing them in is the key.

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24 SE <-- the one that I use the most these days

Epiphone Dot

Gibson SG

Would it help if I posted screen shots of my XT Live models?

If you do screen shots of the XT models, which I would think is a good idea, be sure to include all the info for the effects, mixer, etc. Most of the time one screenshot doesn't cover all the angles.

IMO creating patches is very particular to the person and the venue.  There many tips in the forum. Have scanned through the forum?

Do you play with band or by yourself with a drum machine? Are you trying to record into a DAW? All these things are going to effect how you create your patches.

You can check out this patch I made recently that seemed to get downloaded a lot lately. It's high gain but you could try changing the output settings and amp model to see what gives. http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1422228/ read the description so you know some of the specifics.

Edited by Brazzy

Okay, so more specifics...

I play at church, mostly through the sound system. I do an occasional gig with a jazz/pop group and when I do I use a Tech 21 Powerengine 60 and/or run through the sound system (in which case the Powerengine is mainly for monitoring). But the vast majority of usage is through sound system.

What I currently use most in my XTL rig:

Marshall Plexi

Screamer

RAT

Chorus

Delay

Phaser

Wah (rarely)

Volume (have the Mission expression pedal)

Reverb

One thing I would encourage you to do in approaching the POD HD is to begin with learning some of the differences in the various amp models rather than just the EFX.  Bear in mind the POD HD can be used as an EFX board, but it's real benefit comes from the combination of amp modeling along with the effects.

I notice the setup you typically use could be used as a basis for creating your first patch to just get you started with learning where everything is and how to set them up as a patch and save it.  Those are the basic functions you need to know to really begin exploring the capabilities.  There are a;so a number of really good videos from Line6Support either on this site or on YouTube that will walk you through creating various patches such as a Brian May patch from Queen or a Jimmy Page Led Zep patch.  Those videos are awesome for helping you through creating the various patches.

I would suspect you would want to set the POD HD output to Studio/Direct take the 1/4" guitar mono output from the POD HD into your Powerengine60, and run the XLR output to the mixing board for the PA in a manner similar to what you do now.  This is the way I set my rig up, but I actually use a full range powered speaker cabinet for my monitor.

Once you master creating various patches using different amps you can begin to create custom patches that best suit specific styles of songs.  For example, I use the Roland Jazz Rivet model from the vintage pack as the basis for 10,000 Reasons which gives me a nice ringing, clear tone; but for some things that are more upbeat with a little crunch to them I'll use something like a Fender Deluxe for a nice crunchy but warm sound, or the Marshall as a base amp for heavier rock sounds. That's when you'll discover the real power of this unit in creating a range of presets to match different songs rather than just one amp setting that changes based on effects.  That's when this really becomes a lot of fun!!

• Upvote 1