Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good AMP for Pod XT Live?

Hi, Does anyone have recommendations for which AMP to use with a Pod XT Live. When using the Hear phones the tones sounds excellent, but when playing with our AMP it sounds near to terrible. Probably beacuse it is a cheap 150 EUR Roland AMP. Is there any recommendations for that kind of AMP to use, or is it just to purchase one on try and return basis and try?

Any input would be appreciated

Kind regards //Anders

Thanks for the speedy response! Could that be the trick, not many knobs for alot of settings, but just low,mid, high and level? Really the tone from the Pod XT is just great, but with the AMP used now it sounds like playing in a can of Pepsi. Play mainly at low volume, and the space for storage is quite limited, is there a smaller alternative, or do you think that it is that it is has to be like 60w to get it to sound well?

Initially thought that a Line 6 AMP would be suitable, but there seems to be a huge amount of settings that are available on them, which might rather change the tone to the worse than keeping it good and Clean, or?

Kind regards //Anders

Yep I set the XTL to "studio" and don't use much of the tone controls on the amp - which is ~ 33lbs. The XT never appealed to my ears on the amp settings -> fizzy - but studio into the FX return of an amp (or just a power amp) sounds good. 

I never liked the idea of trying to run a modeler into a modeling amp and really never was successful at running pedals into them either TBH. But when you go to the HD series, the DT amps are a whole world away from the technology we mortals are talking about.

Thanks alot again ! Almost figured so, was looking into getting a Marshall or similar AMP, but that may just be waste of Money then, the tones in the Pod are already excellent, so really the only thing is to get an amp that sounds as Clean as possible then. A 60 w AMP is still a bit to large, if you would guess, would it be enough with a 30 w instead?

Kind regards //Anders

Amp size depends on what you are looking to do with it. If you just want to jam around the house then 30w is more than enough. IF you are going to jam with some friends its going to be on the edge of being too underpowered. Jamming with a 40-60w will keep up with a ham-handed drummer and a deaf bassist. :)

If you want to take it to the stage - the sound guy will mic the cab but it is still nice to have that puppy cranking behind you.

Lots of options - a decent way to go would be Peavey as a starter. A solid state Bandit (a great amp on its own btw) with an fx loop can go a long way for the $. The older ones had some great black widow speakers and were tough enough to survive a war.

So it really depends on what you want to do and how much $$ you want to invest.

-B

Thanks again! Mainly jam around the house, mabye once and a while with some friends. Haha, Would probalbly need 100 w be louder then them.

Peavey seems to be a good idea, but how should one do then to get such a clean tone as possible. Plan to spend about $400. Perhaps like 45 w could be suitable then? Really just want to get the tone from the Pod, no need for further settings.

Play (or at least try to) mainly Joe Satriani, Helloween, Niel Zaza, Bon Jovi, Europe, etc. so the tones are most likely melodic soloing, or at least the tones are, it might be so that a string is missed once and a while.

Will check about the Peavey and see which options that are avaliable.

Thanks /Anders

I use a 5 watt Epiphone Valve Jr stack with the amps OFF from the Podxt live and it's awesome tube sound....(with pedals too)....I also have a tech21 power engine 60 watt and that is exacty what you hear from the pod. Then of course if I'm recording direct, it's straight in from the pod with amps on :)

• Upvote 1

Those lil tube amps are sweet - I have a Kustom Defender 5w too and run it through a 1x12 and yes it is sweet. Its crazy as it gets LOUD to for 5w.

A Bandit 1x12 is a solid amp. For solid state IMO it is great. Built like a tank and affordable with enough watts to hold up jamming with friends. I still have an old 80s one and the FX loop takes modelers very well. The speakers Peavey used were pretty sweet. Remember, to me, studio direct was the setting to use for the XTL's output setting. There are other tricks too like using the EQ to "de-fizz" basically cutting the real low and high freqs.

Amps choice is really based on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

-B

Thanks alot both of you. Have found an almost new Bandit 112 for $ 200 , which seems to be a bargain. Will check if it has the studio direct setting, do not fully understand what you mean with "recording direct". Is there a separate input where the sound passes another way through the amp? Really if 200 or 400 is spent is not a big thing, just want to get the great tone that are in the ear phones also from the amp.

Kind regards //Anders

What "studio direct" means - it is the output setting on the XTL itself. The XTL has a variety of settings (combo front, and a few others I can't remember). What you need in an amp is basically an FX loop (which the Bandit has) which you route the XTL into. This allows you to use the amp's power section only, which is what you want as you are going to be using the XTL's modeling.

I am not sure where you live but in the US old (non-transtube) ones run $100 and lower. I can't comment on the newer ones as I haven't used them. But the Bandit is only one example of a SS amp, there a lots out there from Crate, Marshall etc.

But if the seller is cool you can "try before you buy". Just watch the volume at first as going into the FX loop bypasses the amp's preamp and volume controls.

-B

The bandit 112 seems to have a "speaker simulated direct output", should the guitar be connected there, does´nt seem right if it is named output. On the front there is a high gain and a low gain input. And a section with knobs for "Clean" and one for "Lead". Could anyone of you figure out the best way of connecting the guitar to it to get the best out of the XTL?

Kind regards //Anders

You were so quick to reply so the second question was written without Reading your first response. Ok, fine, that clarifies a bit. Seems that try Before buy would be a good thing anyway.

​Are from Sweden, which also is the reason for the "swenglish" language posts : ) The Bandits seems to be a bit more expensive here, but should perhaps look for an older as well, it is not Always that new things becomes better then it was from the beginning.

Kind regards //Anders

http://en.audiofanzine.com/solid-state-combo-guitar-amp/peavey/solo-series-bandit-112-scorpion-speaker/user_reviews/

This is like the old one I have. Click on the image and look near the top right it reads "effects". That is the FX loop. One jack sends the signal out and the other receives the signal back in (hence the loop). :)

But any amp you look for should have this feature if you just want to use the XTL's modeling. Speakers can be changes and if you are just getting started "used" amps are a great way to save money. The Marshall Valvestates are pretty good for the $ too. They are a decent amp on their own and when you go to ~ 40watt (IIRC) they start to include a FX loop too.

I would not spend a lot of money on a used Bandit 112. There are just too many options depending on how far you want to go.

-B

Now it´s clear, got it!  Can see the jacks also on the nearly new one, but there they are on the rear side. Will not look only for the Bandit then and instead look for amps which has the FX loop, btw do you know what FX stands for?

Thank you so much for being so helpful, much appreciated!!

Kind regards //Anders

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have been using the xt live now for about 10 years and now put it through a 45 watt bassbreaker fender . any amp will work but you must be familar with the edit on the pod xt live. I find adjusting the volume controls on your amp and the xt should be your first priority. next would be picking the proper amp that you are using . Ifind that combo with frequency control works the best because it lets you control the the warmth of the signal. if your using a pa system using studio direct but make sure your middle is set to the 0900 occlock posn.. don't forget to set your back switch to amp .

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but the Peavey Stereo Chorus 2-12 is a great match for modelers/multi-fx with stereo outputs.  You get stereo returns (amp in 1/amp in 2) with 130w* per side and 2-12" speakers.  They often go for under $200.  The amp itself is ok for a solid state amp, but with a Pod or such by-passing the preamp, it's a monster and in stereo..  They weigh probably 70ish lbs.  Mine has casters, and came with them used.  I use it with Pod XT Live.  Did I say it was loud?  You won't worry about if your amp is loud enough to keep up with a heavy-handed drummer.  The drummer may need in-ears to keep up with you...

*max wattage - keep that in mind if you want swap speakers.

IMO a stero or a P.A. anything that sounds good with an MP3 player will sound good with the XTlive.

Heres why, it not only models amps but it also models cabinets any time you model a cabinet then run it threw a guitar cabinet it sounds horrible.

It took line 6 a while to figure this out thats why their Aplifi amps have full range speakers.

If it was just an amp modeler then running into a guitar cabinet would be fine but they add the cabinet modler and IMO thats where the tone goes bad.

You can get some good tones out of it using regular guitar speakers with the cabinet modeler on as well but if you ask me they would sound much much better with a full range speaker like from an old lowrey organ. A speaker thats designed for a full range not just the middle frequencies most guitar speakers are designed for.

This just my opinion ofcorse, ive had a couple pods and a couple XTlives and i always thought they sounded the best with headphones.

• 4 months later...

You want an amp that has as flat a response as possible, with little or no colouration of the sound. This is because you want to amp/cabinet modeling to shine through. A Traynor K4 is the best amp for use with modeling effects. It is a keyboard amp with perfectly balanced and flat EQ response. I use a Fender Hotrod Deluxe III just going into the power amp input instead of the instrument input. This ensures i am only getting the raw amplification power of the amp while bypassing the amp's EQ section, which is definitely biased towards chicken picker type playing. 

• 2 years later...

Another great amp for amplifying Helix and also the various POD units is the Spider Valve, either the original version or the MkII version. These amps have an effects return jack on the back that lets you run any external modeler through the Spider Valve's power amp and then to the speakers, so that you bypass the built-in SV preamp. The advantage here is that the SV amps are powered by a 40 watt 6L6 tube power amp which sounds great. And the combo models come standard with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. It makes for a great tone with any good modeler. And these amps are available for great prices since they were discontinued many years ago. YMMV. Pete