Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing Bridge Pickup in JTV 89F

Every guitar with a bridge hum-bucker that I have has a Duncan Custom Custom in it. It isn't that I don't like the JTV 89F pickups but more that I have all of my patches set to the Duncan Custom Custom. 
Has anyone else changed out the bridge pickup in the 89F to a Duncan?

If so, any information, pictures, schematics, directions, etc., on how to do this would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Check the the Line 6 Knowledge Base.

I think the pick-up specs were meant to be similar to one of the SD humbuckers,

I don't recall which one.

If you go with the SD, be aware that the pick-up height adjustment will be different.

Magnetic field pull down on the strings, can cause warbling in the signal when in Model

mode. Even if the pick-ups are not engaged, the magnetic field doesn't go away. So

pick-up height adjustment is essential to prevent warbling.

Be aware that functional changes may affect or void any warranties.

Check the the Line 6 Knowledge Base.

I think the pick-up specs were meant to be similar to one of the SD humbuckers,

I don't recall which one.

If you go with the SD, be aware that the pick-up height adjustment will be different.

Magnetic field pull down on the strings, can cause warbling in the signal when in Model

mode. Even if the pick-ups are not engaged, the magnetic field doesn't go away. So

pick-up height adjustment is essential to prevent warbling.

Be aware that functional changes may affect or void any warranties.

Thanks! I'll see what I can find out on the knowledge base. If I do this, I will also keep in mind the pickup height adjustment.

I checked the Line6 Knowledge base but couldn't find anything about the SD pickup that the JTV pickups are similar to in specs.
I would really like to know that though. The SD Custom Custom has a very unique sound to me. The highs are rolled off a little and the mids are really creamy.

It looks like the JTV 89 pickups have all the same color leads as the Duncans.  (white, black, red, green, and shield. ) Does anyone know if they correspond exactly with each other?

It's more about how pick-ups wire into the JTV, and not so much about wiring

in a particular brand. Too many wiring variables from brand to brand.

Dan Erlewine may have something on his website or his book on guitar repair.

There's a chapter on pick-up wiring. It's very well put together. Find the pick-up

you want and then find the equivalent wiring diagram in Dan's book.

I've got some information in a thread I made about installing some P-Rails and Triple Shots that may be of use to you here: http://line6.com/support/topic/17493-installing-p-rails-triple-shots-on-a-jtv89f-anyone-else-tried-this/

Here's also the wiring schematic for the JTV89f:uksBgtO.jpg

Hope that helps.

It's more about how pick-ups wire into the JTV, and not so much about wiring

in a particular brand. Too many wiring variables from brand to brand.

Dan Erlewine may have something on his website or his book on guitar repair.

There's a chapter on pick-up wiring. It's very well put together. Find the pick-up

you want and then find the equivalent wiring diagram in Dan's book.

Thanks!

I've got some information in a thread I made about installing some P-Rails and Triple Shots that may be of use to you here: http://line6.com/support/topic/17493-installing-p-rails-triple-shots-on-a-jtv89f-anyone-else-tried-this/

Here's also the wiring schematic for the JTV89f:uksBgtO.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I think this will at least get me into the ballpark. Did you notice any problems with your digitally modeled pickups after you changed out the magnetic pickups?

Thanks! I think this will at least get me into the ballpark. Did you notice any problems with your digitally modeled pickups after you changed out the magnetic pickups?

No issues for me, everything working fine. My wiring will be a little different to yours as I used the triple shot mounts so only had a hot and ground wire to solder to the pickup selector PCB, but that circuit diagram plus a Seymour Duncan wiring diagram should be enough to get you there.